542     0 

394 Markham St (Hariri Pontarini, 3s)

AlexBozikovic

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new custom house by Siamak Hariri.
CD4E1AD6-6792-4889-9F1D-A7A404C49643.jpeg
8461C812-081A-4DF9-88B9-DB108005650B.jpeg

Markham Street between College and Harbord is great. Lots of well maintained quality Victorians along with being consistently tree-lined.

There's an interesting new build further up the street at 436 Markham as well:

View attachment 278328View attachment 278329

And that beauty is by gh3. And then there's also one underway a couple blocks up by Paul Raff Studio -- quite the stretch.

Sorry to say but that house above is in my opinion so massively inferior to the original houses. Someone would have to explain to me what the point of it is?

Architecture appreciation is always subjective, and that's cool. For me, I like it because this replaces a former blank driveway between houses. So it's creating new housing space on what used to be nothing. I also enjoy the textured brickwork on the 2nd floor mid section, and the abstract contemporary adaptation of the neighbouring vernacular.

Architecture appreciation is always subjective, and that's cool. For me, I like it because this replaces a former blank driveway between houses. So it's creating new housing space on what used to be nothing. I also enjoy the textured brickwork on the 2nd floor mid section, and the abstract contemporary adaptation of the neighbouring vernacular.

Me too; I find this to be a really invigorating contemporary take on the traditional form.

It feels quite oppressive to me on the outside as it lacks front windows on the M/F, has what i'll assume be a small singular window obstructed by the textured brickwork (although beautiful) on the 2/F..

it feels it'd be possibly dark inside as it lacks side windows too unless there's a 3-storey atrium/skylight.
Even with wall-to-wall windows at the back, light surely can't reach 50+ft into the interior.

Lucie Tuch Ln - Google Maps

LPAT - E-Status Case Details (gov.on.ca)

Just walked by this today and noticed a house was missing: https://goo.gl/maps/z3LoMeHiu3omfm7z5

How/why was the former Victorian torn down? Was it not heritage listed? Obviously needed some work, but the interiors were gorgeous and appeared to be almost entirely original as well: https://housesigma.com/web/en/house/NAKv53D6RJJyMnxB

Also what kind of asshole gentrifier buys a Victorian semi just to tear it down anyway? There are enough dumpy houses in the neighbourhood for that - even detached ones, no less.

Interesting... looks like they're essentially rebuilding the existing facade?

View attachment 312157

Peculiarly enough, they do appear to be on route to be rebuilding the house in essentially the same form and dimensions. Perhaps with some contemporary variances to come, but it makes me wonder what was the overall rationale. The original house looked to have been in reasonable shape structurally. Unless the current owner just wanted a complete blank slate to work with in terms of interiors and didn't mind rebuilding everything from the start.

Back