Hamilton Wilson at Academy | 30.6m | 8s | Spallacci | srm Architects

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New 8 storey proposal in Ancaster. This is right in the core of old Ancaster and will be very, very contreversial as Ancaster until this point has had a strict 3-storey height limit for new development.

Full submission package here:

Header-1.png

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

New 8 storey proposal in Ancaster. This is right in the core of old Ancaster and will be very, very contreversial as Ancaster until this point has had a strict 3-storey height limit for new development.

Full submission package here:

Header-1.png

View attachment 378985View attachment 378986View attachment 378987View attachment 378988View attachment 378989

Hmm, site as it is today:

1644249385032.png

Am I understanding the renders correctly that they intend to demolish the heritage building?

Overall, I have to give this a thumbs down.

The attempt at the stone streetwall could be interesting if well done; though I'd be concerned about how well executed it might be; the overall scale is fine; but aside from the need to preserve any existing heritage,
the massing has the modern literally overhanging the would-be old, its weird look that doesn't make sense to me visually.

Preserve any existing heritage, build something compatible in appearance if you can do it well, otherwise go contrasting; but if attempting to recreate history, you need to set the modern bit back about 4m so that the streetwall historical illusion isn't hopelessly crushed.

A nice antique looking podium section for this tower. Blends right in with the town of Ancaster as seen in the photos up above!

Not sure it's a mess... thinkin' it might be the coolest thing I've seen proposed for Hamilton... except it's in Ancaster.

I might be just a little a little stoned on orange/terracotta fins though (new market, The Well etc.).

Was reading in the Ancaster News (August 3) that the OLT settlement on this site came on August 1st. No real details other than the settlement includes allowing an eight storey building. Game changer for sure in the village core.

Back