Toronto 365 Church Condos | 102.1m | 31s | Menkes | Wallman Architects

There aren't 40 storeys worth of residents crazy enough to buy at that corner, especially at today's psf downtown average that these units will likely be marketed at.

That stretch of Church will undoubtedly be redeveloped over the next decade. Whoever invests in this building, given the current state of its environs, will probably be saying "I told you so" 5-8 years after it's complete.

Last edited:
There aren't 40 storeys worth of residents crazy enough to buy at that corner, especially at today's psf downtown average that these units will likely be marketed at.

Right next to Ryerson and just south of the Village? These will get snapped up no problem.

It's proximity to the new Loblaws is a serious plus in my opinion. I know many people who live downtown have cars, but they are expensive and inconvenient for trips under a few kilometers and they sit idle for many days until you need them again (still costing you parking, insurance and car payments.) When I consider living somewhere I always situate myself within a few blocks of a grocery store.

Restaurants, movie theatres, nightclubs, museums (proper plural is musea, but I seem to be the only person that uses it), big box stores and malls are all great, but they are all things you visit once in a while. You have to go to the grocery store at least once a week. If you are more than a few blocks from one, you are spending an inordinate amount of time just commuting to it every year.

Other than the opinion of desecrating a landmark, blah, blah, blah... I personally would have loved one of the units in the proposed condos above MLG that got cancelled. Talk about convenience!

3683623670_fd9d3fdb94_o.jpg

(Posted by dt_toronto_geek in the MLG thread here: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?555-Maple-Leaf-Gardens-Loblaws-Superstore-Ryerson-Rink/page41 )

It is a sad looking area, but there are bright points that the grim street face obscures: there is Bulldog Coffee, Guu, and the Barn, and nice walkable streets in the McGill Granby district. What degrades this section of Church are the empty spaces and that abysmal Family Services bunker and any development that can stitch together the positive elements will be a welcome new neighbor. I'm a little worried about the homeowners though, who will likely raise a chorus of NIMBY complaints about shadow, historical pattern, and traffic. However, there are no historical structures to protect: the situation at Church and and Dundonald, where a strangely fervent defense of a so-so walkup complicates the project, should not present here.

merry churchmass

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchPlanningApp.do

365 CHURCH ST

OPA / Rezoning 10 316211 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Dec 17, 2010 Application Submitted Dec 17, 2010 Residential Apartments 217 22,996 23,214 322 1,643 --- --- ---

Rezoning application for a 30 storey mixed use with ground floor retail - 322 residential units - 5 levels below grade parking - 161 parking spaces - 225 parking spaces.

rendering?

http://www.marketvisionrealty.com/landsales/land_current.php
land_365church.gif

Oh, great, another NBS/Lumiere knockoff. At least that looks like it might have red brick, or maybe even precast. Nice that they're providing for retail in the base as well. There's quite a bit of walk-by traffic from Ryerson and there's already a block and a half of retail to the north, so that seems like a logical continuation of what's there. It'll probably be nothing more than a Subway, a dry cleaners, and maybe a bank, but it'll be nicer than walking by the parking lot

Some glass in this area would be nice ... the first glass project to hit an area that doesn't have much in the way of modern development ... there are some exceptions.

I really find King street east has some of the best low rise additions in Toronto, and they fit into the area amazingly.

Yeah glass is nice, but it doesn't necessarily have to have a place in every single neighborhood. Diversity is good. Wish they could at least start to get creative with those mech boxes though... growing quite eerie of them.

Ah, it looks like a mini-Lumiere. Actually, even moreso it looks like the City Centre condos in sales in Downtown Kitchener which is by Quadrangle.

Something new would be wonderful for this humble little stretch of Church Street.

Oooh - this is great news. I walk by here regularly, and I have to say that between Maple Leaf Gardens and Ryerson, Church is one tatty stretch of street.

Man, you said it.

That stretch of Church street is a mess. It combines the architecture of Saigon with the flair of Youngstown Ohio. If they build anything above a Speedy muffler on that strip, I'll be a happy man.

Back