News   Apr 23, 2024
 534     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

365 Bay St. (Wildeboer Dellelce Place)

Kenojuak

Member Bio
Reaction score
The facade for the new Hy’s Steakhouse at the southeast corner of Bay and Richmond has finally been revealed.

This identifies the designer as Elaine Thorsell of BOTI Design in Vancouver although that appears to be an interior design firm.

Walked by this and it looks great. Too bad the whole building wasn't redeveloped though - it's a shame to have such a short, ugly (at least, above the first floor now) building right on Bay Street.

Walked by this and it looks great. Too bad the whole building wasn't redeveloped though - it's a shame to have such a short, ugly (at least, above the first floor now) building right on Bay Street.
This building is by Peter Dickinson, and the only ugly part is the new facade. Tacky and clumsy.

This building is by Peter Dickinson, and the only ugly part is the new facade. Tacky and clumsy.
I think it’s a bit much to call the new retail facade ugly, tacky and clumsy. It has good materials and decent detailing. Yes it is a corporate retail design but it is fairly thoughtful, and the execution is good.

That Hy’s facade would be fine on a shopping mall parking lot. It’s not a great façade, though, and it is badly out of sync with the building it’s attached to here. In every sense.

Ugh?...looks fine to me, it's not like this building is out of the ordinary?

I’m sorry, are you asking a question?

If you’re trying to make an argument about how it’s appropriate for the existing building, then do so. Don’t just post exasperated/sassy posts disagreeing with the post before you for the sake of expressing your disagreement. It’s a waste of space and time.

If you’re trying to make an argument about how it’s appropriate for the existing building, then do so. Don’t just post exasperated/sassy posts disagreeing with the post before you for the sake of expressing your disagreement. It’s a waste of space and time.
Gee, yes it is a waste of space and time to respond to this a month later.?

Last edited:

Is this post, like, purposefully ironic?

I dunno, the new HY's isn't amazing but it's really not offensive. Strong as Dickinson was, and lost though we'd be without his contributions to Canadian modernism, there was a stuffy, repetitious, corporatism to some of his lesser works:

s0841_fl0064_it0010.jpg

Let's not pretend we're talking about IBM here:

20171201-IBM-King-600x445.jpg

Back