Toronto 351 Lake Shore East | 151m | 49s | Great Gulf | SHL Architects

Absolutely, it's really too soon, can't comment about anything except proposed site plans. I would rather have the silos left in place (kind of like a counter to Canada Malting on the other side), and the QQ East would be tres cool in that plan.

Certainly one to watch.

it'd be so awesome if those silos finally go... they're certainly ugly...
and i don't think we need to be afraid of a 50 storey over there if it's a matter of "too soon"... if it'll happen eventually, then i'd rather not wait for the intensification... the faster the better.

I can't tell by the city drawings....

Is this that barren piece of land with the silo that has a now-torn banner hanging on it that reads:

"Sold by Lance Trimble!"

No clue who he is, but way to go for selling that eyesore! The banner's been hanging there for atleast 5 years now...

Casaguy: Yep, that's the property.

it'd be so awesome if those silos finally go... they're certainly ugly...
and i don't think we need to be afraid of a 50 storey over there if it's a matter of "too soon"... if it'll happen eventually, then i'd rather not wait for the intensification... the faster the better.

Don't be too hasty. It's not yet certain what's happening in the very immediate area WRT the Don River Mouth and all that. I'd rather have a good, comprehensive plan than to act too hasty to satisfy the craving for tall things.

It's true...we've already been spared the planned Home Depot for this site...a bit more work and maybe they'll get it (close to) right

Here's the site now.

I can't imagine any reason to save the silo...

DSCN0634.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

I personally love the silos and would hate to see them go. I think the developer's option of splitting QQ E aroudn the silos would create a "HOLY SH*T AWESOME!" dramatic gateway into the Portlands, especially if there's a public plaza/park of some sort and a creative restoration of the silos with super LED nightime lighting effects.

That's exactly what I thought with the QQ E wrap-around concept, and why I think that concept is neat. Did someone say Section 37 arts benefit?

The rest of the proposal makes me cautious, considering the height and scale of the waterfront condos. I'm more concerned with site planning though, and could live with 40-50 floor towers in this site if done really well, and the waterfront plans maintained.

An Alsop stilt condo on top of the silos? Paint the silos pink then have a green box of condos (or art studios) on top! Every year there could be a different theme painted on the silos by Toronto artists--like the roof of the UT SA painted by engineers each hallowe'en.

How many of you folks here have worked in a silo before? They're really nice with old wooden roofs and that orgasmic smell of fresh silage;) Yeah so I think a big wooden bank barn would look rather cool along the waterfront....--a theme park for the local bay st boys!

A better condo proposal on the site would be some modern interpretation of the silos--example a bunch of glass cylinders embracing each other: love@first sight:) Toronto's first Kiss.

You can tell how I approach obstacles by my love for stilts!

Back