Toronto 1 Sumach | 120m | 35s | Block | gh3

AlexBozikovic

Member Bio
Reaction score
A mixed-income project at Sumach and Eastern. 324 condos, 119 Open Door units with permanent affordability.

My piece introducing it:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...er-offers-a-lesson-on-high-design-affordable/

1262067D-C9D9-47C5-B294-650DDD90A01B.jpeg

114EF0A8-2027-4C9E-B745-ECF9EB2B454E.jpeg

F65D65EA-90D8-4F49-B79E-A2AD9DAA56CE.jpeg

The site of famous Cube House!

1629554325043.png

Also includes 2,4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 Sumach Street.

Heritage: The Cube House and 6-12 Sumach are listed, nothing is designated.

Looking at the modelling, I'm assuming, but don't know, that the intent is to preserve the facades of 6-12, but move those to the southern lip of the site.

Looking at the existing context, I can't find any compelling argument against height here. I'm not as much of a fan of height everywhere downtown as Alex B.
I think there's something to be said for leaving the interior of Cabbagetown low-rise. But this is not that.

1629555201032.png

Here we have a highway, in essence at the northern and eastern extents of the site.
To the south a self-storage facility which abuts taller buildings, and soon many more w/the foundry site just to the east.
You have a 4-storey heritage commercial property to the north-west.
And a parking lot immediately to the west.

This proposal is entirely reasonable.

Last edited:
Between this site and the Foundry nearly across the street, Eastern avenue is about to get a lot more density. Currently this area is really awful from a pedestrian perspective.

Also, the giant Green’s Storage facility across the street must have its days numbered? That would really contribute to making this project feel more attached to the rest of the Canary district, heading into Underpass park.

Wow the whole of the little street of house obliterated. I supposed the Street was already smothered by the overpass. I wonder when the overpass was built? In the early 60’s?

Wow the whole of the little street of house obliterated. I supposed the Street was already smothered by the overpass. I wonder when the overpass was built? In the early 60’s?

- The existing street may once have been something worthy of preservation, but today, the heritage listed properties aside, it's rather non-descript, and bounded in by the overpass and the Cube House site (which at street level reads as vacant land).....I don't think there's anything here that merits its preservation as a whole.

- The overpass was finished in 1964, not sure what year they started, but that's when it opened.

What’s the status of all the row houses? Have they already been acquired and spoken for by the developer?

I'll miss the Cube House, but very much looking forward to this proposal. GH3 has an impressive track record, and with Keesmaat's involvement, it will hopefully have the momentum to get approved.

I'll miss the Cube House, but very much looking forward to this proposal. GH3 has an impressive track record, and with Keesmaat's involvement, it will hopefully have the momentum to get approved.
A great pity if (when) the Cube House goes. For me (at least) it's a real Toronto landmark as it always greeted me when I used to drive here from Montreal. When I saw it I knew I had almost arrived.

- The existing street may once have been something worthy of preservation, but today, the heritage listed properties aside, its rather non-descript, and bounded in by the overpass and the Cube House site (which at street level reads as vacant land).....I don't think there's anything here that merits its preservation as a whole.

- The overpass was finished in 1964, not sure what year they started, but that's when it opened.

I disagree. Sumach Street lost so much of its 19th century urban fabric when Regent Park was redeveloped in the 1950s. The existing block of Victorians and beautifully matched historicist rowhouses is charming. It's more interesting as a cohesive whole than simply marooning a couple of the bigger homes' facades in the middle of a high-rise complex.

Having read Jane Jacobs' The Death and Life of Great American Cities, I agree that neighbourhoods are more vibrant and have better economic vitality in the long run when they have a mix of old and new buildings and buildings of different sizes (e.g. both rowhouses and towers).

I think the city should push for the preservation of the block as is and allow for some more height for the tower. Thus, there would be more of a mix of old and new, large and small buildings, as well as density.

I'm also concerned about losing the Cube House, but I understand that it can be disassembled and trucked elsewhere. I would be tempted to take it myself if that were an option.

I disagree. Sumach Street lost so much of its 19th century urban fabric when Regent Park was redeveloped in the 1950s. The existing block of Victorians and beautifully matched historicist rowhouses is charming. It's more interesting as a cohesive whole than simply marooning a couple of the bigger homes' facades in the middle of a high-rise complex.

A completely fair take.

From my perspective, though, the historicst house to the north is a bit of a sore thumb to me, as it's obvious where it doesn't match the period style properly. The windows, and the adornment around the doors just stands out in a rather glaring and unflattering way to me.

The properties to the south of those listed aren't anything that really excite me either.

The other thing though, is that I simply don't see a fulsome character here now with the cube house (interesting and nice though it is); and the overpasses shredding any semblance of intact historical flavour, to me.

But I completely respect a different perspective.

The site on the corner should be bought and turned into a Parkette. Or else I feel it will be developed without any cohesion with this proposal.

There is a lot to like here, especially the inset red-brick arches, which recall a certain Esplanade splendour of the 80s. As ever though I find the stuffing and mounting of heritage facades to be distasteful. Have the courage to knock them down, or ship them off to the Facade District where they may join their kind.

But - six dedicated affordable floors for artists! Imagine the hallways! Imagine the cliques! Imagine the vibe! (Probably mostly stress.)

Back