Toronto 3140 Dufferin | 90.6m | 26s | RioCan | Arcadis

Dufferin Plaza in Toronto

Dufferin Plaza is an open-air centre on four acres at Dufferin Street and Apex Road, near the Lawrence West subway station, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Allen Expressway and Highway 401.

RioCan and Maplelands will redevelop a mixed-use property with approximately 608 units, or a 417,000-square-foot condominium tower and 32,000 square feet of retail space. The project has received Official Plan approval.

RioCan will be the development and retail property manager, and will develop the site in conjunction with its recently acquired 50 per cent interest at adjacent 3180 Dufferin St.

3180 Dufferin is the third project RioCan is developing in partnership with Woodbourne Capital Management. This project is a mixed-use development with up to 440,000 square feet of gross floor area intended as residential rental and ground-floor commercial.

The two projects will result in a mixed-use development of nearly one million square feet.

The Dufferin Plaza transaction closed on Aug. 10. It represents approximately $115 per square foot of future density, of which $11.3 million will be paid as pre-construction development phases are achieved over the next 18 to 24 months.

RioCan redeveloping the property at 3180 Dufferin as well means that the SW corner at Samor Rd will also be intensified. That site used to be the Dean Myers car dealership that closed down in early March and left customers in the dark:

1597288571495.png

Last edited:
RioCan redeveloping the property at 3180 Dufferin as well means that SW corner at Samor Rd will also be intensified. That site used to be the Dean Myers car dealership that closed down in early March and left customers in the dark:

View attachment 262954
2020: Not a good year to buy cars

Has this site changed substantially since the LPAT approval? The docs for 3180 Dufferin show this site as a three tower project consisting of 11-storeys, 10-storeys, and 9-storeys. Significantly different from the 28- and 22- storeys from the development application.

In theory, I like the nod to Uno Prii's apartment blocks (lived in 35 Walmer and loved that building). In practice, even on these drawings you can see this homage will fail because of clear balcony glass and the fact that the depth of balconies are consistent on each floor rather than matching the fin depths. What a shame.

Last edited:
New renderings were taken from the architectural plan via rezoning. The storey count changed from 11 & 9 storeys to 26 & 24, 22 storeys. Height changed from 42.25m & 37.40m to 90.60m, 84.40m, 77.90m. The unit count increased from 606 units to 1062 units. total car parking changed from 424 parking to 506 parking.

Renderings!

PLN - Architectural Plans - JUN 21  2023-2.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JUN 21  2023-67.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JUN 21  2023-71.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JUN 21  2023-69.jpg

Looks like absolute, appalling gutter trash. Streetwall looks bad, the podium is awful, and the towers are ghastly.

The only redeeming feature here is the inset balconies in the podium.

Ok, I've had a bit of a look............

Some bit and bobs:

1689130554517.png

1689130574760.png

1689130653744.png

I haven't look at all the ratios yet, LOL, getting late.

While I like consolidated parks blocks, in theory, the overall space is still small'ish.......in terms of usable programming. I really want developers and yes, PARKS to learn to work backwards. ie. What parks function is need here comes first, then we assess how much land and what shape is required to achieve that.

The assumption is often made that parks can only be the size the City can require statutorily.

When instead, the assumption should be that it will be that, plus what the City will buy from the developer, or in addition to the developer for an off-site dedication, in order to create something useful.

I'd be fascinated to know how this park location was arrived at, when I look at this site plan, I really want to orient the park N-S along the western extent of the site to reduce shadows; but perhaps there is a compelling reason to have gone this route.

I have lots on my reading list the next day or two.

Back