News   Mar 28, 2024
 158     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

299 Queen Street West (Bell Media Studios)

Lachlan Holmes

Member Bio
Reaction score
Normally I wouldn’t start a thread based on a blogTO post… but this one is pretty big - a future redevelopment of the MuchMusic/Bell Media Studios building at 299 Queen West.

To my understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, Bell Media controls the entire block from John to Duncan and Queen to Richmond:

1646933422877.png

Potential site size, inclusive of all current buildings is ~7700m2/83000ft2

Heritage Protection:

1646933617491.png

From the Heritage Register, as seen above, the iconic 299 Queen West and all contiguous buildings are 'designated'; and those along Richmond are designated or listed.

However, the retail block at the north-east of the area is only part of the Heritage Conservation District with no added protection.

Below I have highlighted the low-protection and parking areas of the block:

1646933854152.png

These total 3400M2/ 37000ft2

To my understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, Bell Media controls the entire block from John to Duncan and Queen to Richmond:

View attachment 384716

Potential site size, inclusive of all current buildings is ~7700m2/83000ft2

Heritage Protection:

View attachment 384717

From the Heritage Register, as seen above, the iconic 299 Queen West and all contiguous buildings are 'designated'; and those along Richmond are designated or listed.

However, the retail block at the north-east of the area is only part of the Heritage Conservation District with no added protection.

Below I have highlighted the low-protection and parking areas of the block:

View attachment 384719

These total 3400M2/ 37000ft2
Yup. Used to be a rumour that the salon on the corner of Duncan & Queen was the only missing piece. Not sure if that’s true

This is what happens when you run a subway line underneath a street in Toronto. MEGA CONDO SKYSCRAPERS LOL !

A shame that Brad Lamb had already taken the marketing moniker of Television City for his project in Hamilton already. This would've been a perfect site for a name like that. ;)

Ahem, I like the heritage buildings on this site; keep Brad away from them thanks! LOL

It's too bad this will almost certainly be res. Something like 674 Granville would be *perfect*...

View attachment 384759

A couple of thoughts on this:

1) While the above isn't bad, I would certainly prefer to see the most iconic building left untouched. There is ample space in this assembly to achieve that.

2) I'm not so sure on the residential, Allied is building office only a block away; and there is room here for a very large floor plate.

Let me further add, the memo does indicate that Bell Media will be returning to the site at completion:

"temporarily move our studios to another downtown location."

I would imagine, if nothing else, they are a potential tenant for more commercial space, including more purpose-built studio space.

They could (and should) consolidate their suburban studios downtown. That would also free up a very large parcel at the 401 and McCowan for redevelopment, just in time for the SSE.

I agree with @ProjectEnd and @Northern Light.

Ideally 299 should not be touched in any kind of way whatsoever, and whoever the proponent is should just build around it. But if we really have to run into the scenario where it does (it's Toronto so it probably will since we dont care about historical buildings), Allied would be the only firm in town who would give this building any kind of justice.

A couple of thoughts on this:

1) While the above isn't bad, I would certainly prefer to see the most iconic building left untouched. There is ample space in this assembly to achieve that.

2) I'm not so sure on the residential, Allied is building office only a block away; and there is room here for a very large floor plate.

Let me further add, the memo does indicate that Bell Media will be returning to the site at completion:

"temporarily move our studios to another downtown location."

I would imagine, if nothing else, they are a potential tenant for more commercial space, including more purpose-built studio space.

They could (and should) consolidate their suburban studios downtown. That would also free up a very large parcel at the 401 and McCowan for redevelopment, just in time for the SSE.
Cough. Cough.

That’s got plans for expansion in the Port Lands.

Also keep in mind the CBC rents out studio space further south on John st.

Cough. Cough.

There are a lot more new studios going in than that; and everything is booked.

Two new sound stages are going in on Birchmount at an existing complex, there's more space in the burbs coming and more downtown. Growth in the sector is well into double-digits.

Keep in mind as well, that I'm suggesting this as part of consolidating existing Bell Media locations in the suburbs to this site, freeing them up the suburban sites for redevelopment.

Cough. Cough.

CBC rents to competitors regularly. It's a revenue source for the pubcaster.

I've always thought Bell Media might consolidate everything at 299 Queen St E. A few execs have told me over the years that "there just isn't enough space there," but I've never quite bought that either.
There really isnt enough space at 299 Queen to consolidate their operations to that location. With their existing operations prior to Covid, staff were sharing work spaces because there werent nearly enough and things were cramped in a lot of areas from my understanding. Additionally, a few of their shows rotate in the same shared space.

I'm not sure what the situation is over at 9 Channel Nine, but it always appeared to be that it would be easier for them to expand operations over there.

Not that I really care what Bell Media and that crook company does, im more concerned about this gem of a building and what they do with it.

I'm not sure what the situation is over at 9 Channel Nine, but it always appeared to be that it would be easier for them to expand operations over there.

As the site is currently configured, yes.

But if you build where the parking is, and non-designated retail buildings, you can get a very large floor plate, and several floors, for a substantial amount of space.

Back