5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant Landform Project

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant Landform Project is up for approval at the Infrastructure and environment committee.

This is a large project with a preliminary estimate of $97.7M

From the report:

The final design of the ABTP Landform Project (Figure 1) consists of three distinct sections:
•a land base that includes shoreline erosion control structures;
•a large breakwater, known as the central breakwater, constructed from the west of Coatsworth Cut; and,
•a smaller breakwater, known as the east breakwater, constructed from the southernmost headland of Ashbridges Bay Park.

The total area of the Landform Project, including the breakwaters, is approximately 27 ha of new land (lakefill)

Report linked here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-130894.pdf

This project is creating new land and erosion protection for a new High Rate Treatment Plant for the Don River and Central Waterfront Project which would decommission 50 Combine Sewer Overflows (where raw sewage is dumped during rain storms into the Don River, Taylor-Massey Creek and the Inner Harbour)

Site Plan is here:

Also from the report:

The Landform Project will provide
:•a land base for the City of Toronto’s High Rate Treatment Plant as identified in the Coatsworth Cut and Don River & Central Waterfront EAs;•erosion control and long term shoreline protection for City of Toronto facilities
;•diversion of sediment from the navigation channel at Coatsworth Cut, eliminating the need to dredge the channel for several decades;
•public access along portions of the waterfront; and,
•enhancement of fish habitat along the shoreline and newly created embayments.

The Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant Landform Project is up for approval at the Infrastructure and environment committee.

This is a large project with a preliminary estimate of $97.7M

From the report:

The final design of the ABTP Landform Project (Figure 1) consists of three distinct sections:
•a land base that includes shoreline erosion control structures;
•a large breakwater, known as the central breakwater, constructed from the west of Coatsworth Cut; and,
•a smaller breakwater, known as the east breakwater, constructed from the southernmost headland of Ashbridges Bay Park.

The total area of the Landform Project, including the breakwaters, is approximately 27 ha of new land (lakefill)

Report linked here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-130894.pdf

This project is creating new land and erosion protection for a new High Rate Treatment Plant for the Don River and Central Waterfront Project which would decommission 50 Combine Sewer Overflows (where raw sewage is dumped during rain storms into the Don River, Taylor-Massey Creek and the Inner Harbour)

Site Plan is here:

Also from the report:

The Landform Project will provide
:•a land base for the City of Toronto’s High Rate Treatment Plant as identified in the Coatsworth Cut and Don River & Central Waterfront EAs;•erosion control and long term shoreline protection for City of Toronto facilities
;•diversion of sediment from the navigation channel at Coatsworth Cut, eliminating the need to dredge the channel for several decades;
•public access along portions of the waterfront; and,
•enhancement of fish habitat along the shoreline and newly created embayments.

I seem to recall that they have proposed some kind of post-treatment polishing wetland for that area. Guess that's not in the works anymore?

AoD

I seem to recall that they have proposed some kind of post-treatment polishing wetland for that area. Guess that's not in the works anymore?

AoD

I recall that as well and don't see it referenced at all in the report.

The report is also rather non-specific on the nature of the public access to the landform which was originally envisaged a connection for people between Ashbridges Bay Park and the Spit. Not clear on whether that remains the case or what form it would take.

So.........I was out on Leslie Street Spit today; and this project is well underway, and I have photographic evidence!

Photos taken April 19th, 2021:

Here we are, no zoom, looking in on the project from the south, back towards the Treatment Plant:

1618879794391.png

Now just pointing a bit further east:

1618879835023.png

Now assorted shots across the landscape w/varying zoom:

1618879877899.png

1618879897625.png

1618879918747.png

1618879939519.png

1618879966690.png

1618879995552.png

1618880029977.png

1618880048821.png

1618880075022.png
1618880076245.png

huh. I had no idea! This is actually a huge landfill area too, looks about 0.3 square km. Someone will have to update the City of Toronto's area on the Wikipedia page!

It hadn't crossed my mind before, but does this mean there's going to be some kind of pedestrian trail connecting through there, presumably to Lake Shore somewhere?

It hadn't crossed my mind before, but does this mean there's going to be some kind of pedestrian trail connecting through there, presumably to Lake Shore somewhere?

That was to be considered at the detailed design stage. (so says the E.A)

A quick search does not show me a clear answer.

Which is to say, the beach crest/headlands do look to me as though they will be accessible from the Spit, but I don't see any indication of them connecting to Ashbridges Bay Park or Lake Shore Blvd.

But that may be a late-night oversight on my part.

The detailed design is here:

1620620307815.png

But it did turn up this email address where you might try posting an inquiry.

ABTP.Landform@trca.ca

Last edited:
With security concerns in mind, I don't expect any new connection to Lake Shore or Ashbridge's Bay.

What security concern are you envisioning?

With public access all the way out along the new landform; the only accretive security concern would be one resulting from the bridges that would be required to the east of same.

I'm not sure this is a high priority investment by the way; just curious on why you imagine that would be an issue.

I'm more inclined to think of the issue as a practical one, as any bridge over Coatsworth Cut has to have a high enough clearance for all the watercraft to pass under, that would be a pain (I'm thinking of a switchback ramp access).

Alternatively, you could move the boats out...........which was considered in the past; but that was discarded as prohibitively expensive (assuming a new marina/pier would be built.)

What security concern are you envisioning?

With public access all the way out along the new landform; the only accretive security concern would be one resulting from the bridges that would be required to the east of same.

I'm not sure this is a high priority investment by the way; just curious on why you imagine that would be an issue.

I'm more inclined to think of the issue as a practical one, as any bridge over Coatsworth Cut has to have a high enough clearance for all the watercraft to pass under, that would be a pain (I'm thinking of a switchback ramp access).

Alternatively, you could move the boats out...........which was considered in the past; but that was discarded as prohibitively expensive (assuming a new marina/pier would be built.)
Security concerns on the south and east sides of the treatment plant itself (where I assume this connection is passing; if I'm misinterpreting, nevermind). Anyone can get there by boat but a pedestrian/cyclist path would draw more people to those sides and I don't know if the City would want to increase the risks of trespassing. The park is also closed weekdays and overnight so a gate would be required at Lake Shore.

I think a connection between Tommy Thomson Park and Ashbridges Bay Park would be great though if feasible.

Security concerns on the south and east sides of the treatment plant itself (where I assume this connection is passing; if I'm misinterpreting, nevermind).

My interpretation would be this: The outer portion of the form, on the spit side is designed to be walkable.

At that point, you can draw, should you wish, 2 bridges to link over to Ashbridge's Bay Park at the point. But they would be both awkward and costly to deliver for reasons outlined above.

I don't think that would bring you particularly close to the plant.

If, one went in towards the plant to achieve a shorter crossing, I could see that as more an issue I suppose.....

Anyone can get there by boat but a pedestrian/cyclist path would draw more people to those sides and I don't know if the City would want to increase the risks of trespassing.

The plant always had a natural area to its south that abutted the baselands of TTP (the Spit). There was only a fence to stop you from getting in; I assume there would still be fences.

The park is also closed weekdays and overnight so a gate would be required at Lake Shore.

The intent in the TTP Masterplan is for the park to be open 7 days per week (all-day); I'm not sure what the current timetable is for shifting to that operation.

I think a connection between Tommy Thomson Park and Ashbridges Bay Park would be great though if feasible.

Agreed. Though, as I said, not the highest of priorities.

Attachments

• 1620676784754.png
    1620676784754.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 203

Back