Toronto Maison 77 Clarendon | 22.1m | 5s | Menkes | Richard Wengle

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposal for a 6 storey residential building with 30 units and a GFA of 5581 square metres and a density of 1.77 FSI. A total of 58 parking spaces will be located within four levels of underground parking.

2wfeas.jpg
2qwfes.jpg

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3801481

It's hard to tell from the small photo, but the previous design looks like decently graceful modernism and way nicer than the tacky ostentatious revivalism of the new design. Well-off Torontonians do love tacky ostentatious revivalism, but I imagine the neighbourhood will still oppose it.

Unfortunately for Toronto, a city where homeowners freak out at any non-single family home development while everyone else in the city struggles to pay rent, everything about this situation is bad. IMO retaining the more affordable rental housing currently there would be the best use of the site given the options. I feel far more for the people living there who will lose their homes and be thrown into the nightmare Toronto rental market. Where's the community support for them? Or do lower-income renters not count?

Based on the article, Les Klein was mentioned to have been the architect present at that 2015 consultation meeting so looks like it may have previously been a Quadrangle concept. Shame that never ended up seeing the light of day. I'm quite a fan of the Fallingwater-esque balcony bands. Along with the combination of what may have been patterned stone on the base and central components of the building.

It was Quadrangle. Pinedale and QAL were really put through hell on the last concept so it's no surprise that they sold it in the end.

Such a shame. That would've been a hidden gem.The only saving grace now of the Wengle design is that it'll be generally unseen and stashed away shlockery based on the location.

Last edited:

Back