Hamilton 2900 King Street East | 69.2m | 20s | Camarro Group | RAW Design

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
southwest corner of King and Centennial. This is technically still in the former City of Hamilton, albeit barely with lands to the north and east in Stoney Creek.

00-Header-2048x1142.png

It's listed as microsite coming soon" on Urban Solutions website:

https://urbansolutions.info/urban-share/

I count 20 storeys for the north tower. Not clear how tall the south tower is, though it appears to be a bit shorter.

The UrbanSolutions microsite for this project is now live. I'll pull forward the (unseen) renderings and some other information and pictures that may be of interest.

First, some information. The documents indicate that this is a phased project.

Phase 1 includes the northern tower and the northern podium, with the tower being 20 storeys in height or 66.37 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse. There is one retail space included in the proposal, and it is part of the first phase. It is a 297.3 m2 space fronting onto King Street. (the statistics sheet I'll list below lists 356 m2, which I believe is incorrect, comparing against the floorplan)

Phase 2 includes the southern tower and the remainder of the podium, with the tower being 18 storeys in height or 59.77 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse.

1656828393526.png

Now, the new renderings:

Renderings (2).jpg

Renderings (3).jpg

Renderings (4).jpg

Renderings (5).jpg

I want to also include the elevation drawings, which as far as I can tell, depict a completely different exterior design than the renderings. I do not know which is the current iteration of the design.

East (Centennial Parkway) elevation:
1656828753730.png

North (King Street) elevation:
1656828828780.png

West (cemetery-facing) elevation:
1656828896590.png

South (escarpment-facing) elevation:
1656829083913.png

And finally, a copy of the ground floor plan:
1656829263741.png

I hope this doesn't get built here - it's out of character with the area, its higher than the battlefield tower which is meant to be a monument to fallen soldiers and is thus meant to be the highest thing in the area - it's on THE busiest corridor/intersection in the city and thus will make traffic a nightmare - it is not a walkable intersection, it's gonna be noisy as hell for anyone living these, aaand its ugly as sin - BOTH renders.

It's also right beside a little known graveyard - I wonder if there are issues with that.. digging foundations and accidently putting piles right through a coffin..

I'm also sure battlefield house is probably not pleased - imagine taking videos of the battle of stoney creek reenactments and seeing a giant modern condo in the background..

It's just not a good place for this building imo.

I also think it is a good add for the area and is reasonable for the intersection. We need to up the diversity and density of housing throughout the wider city to maintain our urban footprint. City Council has shown that they can't help themselves from spending at a record rate, we need faster approvals and builds to spread the load.

Last edited:
The city is going to have a tough time with this one. The applicant's lawyer immediately cited the lack of urban boundary expansion as a core reason this should be approved. I agree. The city can't have it's cake and eat it too.

Not to mention with a large property tax increase looming, the fact that this plot currently pays $72,000/year as a vacant plot is relevant too. It will likely increase to a few hundred thousand.

I disagree -- it's on an arterial road, near a highway, ~1km to Eastgate Square and the future sight of LRT, and ~3km to a GO Train station.
We'll agree to disagree. After all you need 2 sides to every argument. The arguments will boil down to needed density vs appropriateness of this building with the character of the surroundings I think. Function versus appearance.

Personally, I am not against something going here - an asian restaurant used to be here - I am just against THAT going there.

Last edited:
character of the surroundings I think.

Yeah but what does character of the surrounding really mean and is that even a good thing, Without change everything would be frozen as-is which is part of what led us here in the first place. If the site is appropriate based on actual quantifiable metrics then there shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah but what does character of the surrounding really mean and is that even a good thing, Without change everything would be frozen as-is which is part of what led us here in the first place. If the site is appropriate based on actual quantifiable metrics then there shouldn't be an issue.
In this case it means the most historically significant area of our ENTIRE city. Heck possibly even our entire province. Hence why battlefield house still exists in almost the exact same condition it did over 200 years ago. That plot of land is frozen in time, and will be for all eternity, because of its significance of the fact we are not american in its role in the war of 1812, and the fact reenactments are routinely done there to allow us to never forget that.

In this case frozen as is is what exactly IS wanted - but ONLY for this immediate area because of its historical significance. It's one reason when the doctors office across the street a ways down from this house was torn down nothing was allowed to be rebuilt on it because they found soldiers bodies as they dug down from that war. It's entirely possible they may also find soldiers bodies in THIS plot when they start digging, especially considering there is a cemetery RIGHT beside it. Finding bodies and linking them to that war would immediately cancel any sort of build on the plot, possibly any at all like with the doctors office. This plot may never be able to be built on in that way as a result - everything else built on it was purely surface, not dug down deep. We don't exhume and move bodies anymore to my knowledge to build things (amityville house anyone?) - imagine knowing that bodies were removed and you being superstitious of desecrating soldiers land, ghosts etc. As you can see below - the battlefield (or at least the reenacted, whether it was precisely fought there is probably a matter of debate) was RIGHT beside this plot, the plot in question being to the right and off the image on the right of the highway.

hamiltoncivicmuseums-reenactment-site-map.jpg

I wouldn't have issues with this built anywhere else (well aside from my usual "blockitecture gripes lol) - I just have issues with it being built right across from battlefield house. That's all.

And yes I get it there is a gas station kiddie corner and small apartment buildings across from the house, but this would significantly detract from the historical significance of this plot as as I have said before the tower in the back of battlefield house was meant to be a memorial for the fallen soldiers and meant to be something nothing immediately around it was higher than. But I guess we'll see where progress takes us on this one.

Last edited:

Back