News   Apr 25, 2024
 141     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 322     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 517     0 

Stackt Container Market (28 Bathurst St, future park)

I am confused by this application. There is an existing planning application to develop the land by Build Toronto, and the local councillor is trying to rezone the land for a public park. Why would anyone put so much effort into an application on land they do not own. To make this feasible the city would have to lease them the lot, which is in terrible condition, for many years to make any money. Any idea who is behind this scheme?

Because they can!

Anyone can put in a development application for whatever they want, regardless of any current site restriction on zoning, height, density, usage, etc,... and best of all, they don't even have to own the site or even have the owner's permission. And CityPlanning will still have to give it all due consideration just like any other development application in the city.

Truth is this temporary container park is likely more viable than "the local councillor is trying to rezone the land for a public park". Since, with the temporary container park scheme, it produces almost immediate public realm green/open-space in an area desperate for such infrastructure,.... and BuildToronto can still sell off the land later thus generating revenue for the City,.... and CityPlanning can later require future developer contribute a small portion (like about 10%) to on-site parkland dedication.

If the local councillor manages to rezone the land for public park, it'll never be sold off in the future (imagine the public outcry when City sells off public park space) and the City will be paying for landscaping and any environmental clean-up required here. Some folks thinking, don't worry, it'll all be paid for by Section37 CommunityBenefit money developer must pay for nearby developments - fair enough but there's an opportunity cost to that. Look at the proposed RailDeckPark, that'll cost about 1 billion dollar,... say, each 50+ storey condo tower generates $5-10 million in Section37 CommunityBenefit money, it'll take about 100-200 condo towers in the local wards to get $1 billion in Section37 CommunityBenefit money required for RailDeckPark,.... but the real issue is the opportunity cost, that $1 billion of Section37 CommunityBenefit money could have brought a whole lot of new community centres, new libraries, new non-profit child care facilities, better distributed parkspace, local park infrastructure improvements, etc,....

Last edited:
I quit driving in the 416 in favour of walking, cycling, transit, so yeah, I can say transit with a straight face!

Yeah you may have quit like many others that live downtown, but rental companies lately cant keep enough vehicles in stock to satisfy all the new wave condo dwellers moving into the core
I would bet that car rental companies have quadrupled their stock in the last 5 years, cars are not going away, period.
Anyways , sorry to be off topic

Yeah you may have quit like many others that live downtown, but rental companies lately cant keep enough vehicles in stock to satisfy all the new wave condo dwellers moving into the core
I would bet that car rental companies have quadrupled their stock in the last 5 years, cars are not going away, period.
Anyways , sorry to be off topic

Even if that's true, downtown condo dwellers aren't renting cars from car rental companies for daily use (or anything close to it). I think this proposed use is a fantastic idea and I don't worry for a solitary second about people figuring out how to get to it if it winds up being worth getting to.

For the interim proposal -- If they really went with the shipping container aesthetic, they could have a mini NDSM Wharf (Amsterdam) for this space.

For the long run, we really should come to our senses and build the front street extension.

Egads no! An extension would wreck Garrison Point park, the Garrison Crossing (Fort York Pedestrian & Bike Bridge) link, and would send the worst message (that our traffic issues can be fixed by hugely expensive new roads).

I'll be more pointed: building a brand new road almost anywhere around here is a really stupid idea and would of course negatively affect this and every other development currently under construction (or already existing) in this area.

For the interim proposal -- If they really went with the shipping container aesthetic, they could have a mini NDSM Wharf (Amsterdam) for this space.

For the long run, we really should come to our senses and build the front street extension.
I think that ship has sailed (or sunk) long ago. Let's move on ....

Back