Toronto 2759 Kingston Road | 36.83m | 9s | Aroma | Baron Nelson Architects

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This new to the AIC application is for a 9s building on the south side of Kingston Road, involving a 3 property assembly 2759-2761 Kingston Road and an SFH, 52 Quentin on the adjacent side street.

A look at the site as is:

Aerial:

1668691599691.png

Streetview (Kingston frontage):

1668691676889.png

Quentin frontage:

1668691730660.png

The app:

1668691756187.png

From the Docs:

From the North-East:

1668691934811.png

From the north:

1668692010584.png

From the north-west:

1668692075029.png

Looking Northward up Quentin:

1668692126849.png

Aerial view from the south-east:

1668692184267.png

Site Plan: (Kingston Road at top of image)

1668692296294.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1668692368373.png

1668692483549.png

1668692515525.png

1668692553922.png

Comments: Mostly fine and innocuous. But No Street Trees are proposed for Kingston Road. Unacceptable, will create a poor pedestrian environment with no buffer to large volumes of traffic. Utility conflicts are mentioned though the actually drawings don't suggest this is a consequential issue to me; the other reason given is the need for the pedestrian clearway. (ie. total sidewalk is not wide enough). At well over 3M I think the sidewalk is ballpark wide enough for trees and a clearway, though the space might be tight relative to potential pedestrian volumes. This building is already on the skinny side, so shaving another 0.5M off the podium isn't ideal. Whether space is claimed from the road, or the podium, or the developer elects to deepen the site with further acquisition I believe that needs remedying.

Note that the SFH here is a Neighbourhood zoning. From a policy perspective I see no reason that shouldn't change, but it may be the subject of some pushback.

Last edited:
Anything is better than what’s currently here. Hav-A-Nap I hope is next…

One day Kingston is going to have a lovely continuous form of midrise from the Beaches out to Highway 2. It's definitely my preferred scale for city building outside of the core, and while not every new build is a gem, it's already vastly improving the streetscape. With the exception of a few nicer blocks, Kingston was always quite humdrum for such a historically important thoroughfare.

One day Kingston is going to have a lovely continuous form of midrise from the Beaches out to Highway 2. It's definitely my preferred scale for city building outside of the core, and while not every new build is a gem, it's already vastly improving the streetscape.

Agreed.

With the exception of a few nicer blocks, Kingston was always quite humdrum for such a historically important thoroughfare.

Also agreed, but would add; the road didn't have a lot of great heritage architecture on many parts as it went very rapidly from farms to subdivisions, in the post WWII era, particularly east of Midland.

That said, it did have more character than it does now, but a good deal was lost by the widening and re-alignments of Kingston Road to six lanes that happened several decades back.

Agreed.

Also agreed, but would add; the road didn't have a lot of great heritage architecture on many parts as it went very rapidly from farms to subdivisions, in the post WWII era, particularly east of Midland.

That said, it did have more character than it does now, but a good deal was lost by the widening and re-alignments of Kingston Road to six lanes that happened several decades back.
True, and of course a chunk of the original street that isn't Kingston anymore, but rather Old Kingston.

Have been lurking UT for a while now, particularly interested in developments along the Kingston; been living in the cliffs area for a while.

Development looks good at first glance. Assembly of 52 Quentin into the site makes sense, would be a tight site else wise, specially for a 9 story condo. I echo the sentiment of wanting more Street Trees along Kingston Rd.

It does seem rather cramped. Interested to see how city staff will be respond, I wanna wager that similar to 2880 Kingston Road they might end up scaling down just a bit. There's a relatively new neighbourhood group here that spurred as result of the proposal along Windy Ridge Dr. I'm sure they'll have some objections :rolleyes:

Anything is better than what’s currently here. Hav-A-Nap I hope is next…
I'm sure something is in the works for that derelict motel, judging by the ownership of the neighboring parcel ...

Have been lurking UT for a while now, particularly interested in developments along the Kingston; been living in the cliffs area for a while.

Development looks good at first glance. Assembly of 52 Quentin into the site makes sense, would be a tight site else wise, specially for a 9 story condo. I echo the sentiment of wanting more Street Trees along Kingston Rd.

It does seem rather cramped. Interested to see how city staff will be respond, I wanna wager that similar to 2880 Kingston Road they might end up scaling down just a bit. There's a relatively new neighbourhood group here that spurred as result of the proposal along Windy Ridge Dr. I'm sure they'll have some objections :rolleyes:

I'm sure something is in the works for that derelict motel, judging by the ownership of the neighboring parcel ...

Welcome to the forum (as a participant) @99.Furies. Good first post, I look forward to many more!

Last edited:
Same as 99.Furies, I too have been lurking UT for quite a while. As a long time resident of Cliffcrest, I'm keenly interested in development along Kingston Road. Interesting to note that the proposed Boor - Danforth cycle track extension (from Victoria Park along Danforth - Kingston Rd) has been approved by the City and is scheduled to be built next year. Cyclists will be able to ride along a designated cycle track from Cliffcrest all the way past High Park. Amazing. Hopefully this will help planning for a better pedestrian environment and street trees along Kingston Road.

Same as 99.Furies, I too have been lurking UT for quite a while. As a long time resident of Cliffcrest, I'm keenly interested in development along Kingston Road. Interesting to note that the proposed Boor - Danforth cycle track extension (from Victoria Park along Danforth - Kingston Rd) has been approved by the City and is scheduled to be built next year. Cyclists will be able to ride along a designated cycle track from Cliffcrest all the way past High Park. Amazing. Hopefully this will help planning for a better pedestrian environment and street trees along Kingston Road.

First off, welcome to UT @TwinHuey ; glad to have you on board.

Second, the extension east of Victoria Park is not yet approved, it's planned, I know city processes can be a bit confusing. The report requesting approval will come before Council later this spring, and implementation could begin this fall or spring next year (assuming approval is granted).

I think there is a good chance for full approval; but we'll see how the public consultations go.

The Crossroads BIA will be opposing this....unfortunately.

First off, welcome to UT @TwinHuey ; glad to have you on board.

Second, the extension east of Victoria Park is not yet approved, it's planned, I know city processes can be a bit confusing. The report requesting approval will come before Council later this spring, and implementation could begin this fall or spring next year (assuming approval is granted).

I think there is a good chance for full approval; but we'll see how the public consultations go.

The Crossroads BIA will be opposing this....unfortunately.
Thanks for the clarification Northern Light. I’m reassured you feel there is a good chance for full approval. I’m guessing the cycle track will be a step towards making Cliffside / Cliffcrest more walkable. Can’t wait.

I wasn't aware of the planned bicycle route along Kingston. Even through I am a bit of a petrol head, I actually came to enjoy using the Active TO Bike Lanes they had running along Brimley Rd. back in summer 2020 (You can still see the repainted lines today). I could easily see how they would be infuriating for daily commuters though.

With Kingston Road being 6 lanes wide from Danforth all the way up to Rouge it seems like a great place to do something similar; cut out short distance car commutes along the whole avenue. I'll look forward to using it when and if it gets built 🤙

Some photos from the site:
(Looking down St Quentin Ave)
20230313_182956.jpg

Looking up Kingston Road from the Site (Autobody shop and Motel adjacent and Skale Bluffs Condo in the Background):
20230313_183023-jpg.461826

52 Quentin (I blurred plates off):
20230313_183357.jpg

Opposite Side of Kingston Road (Another Skale Developments proposal where the 2 eye sore motels are and Site Plan for a Place of Worship on the corner of Kingston and Brimley)
20230313_183205.jpg

Futile Public Notice
20230313_183052.jpg

I haven't walked through this area since going to Highschool, reminds me how much of an eye sore some of the buildings along this stretch of Kingston are. The site itself seems quite tight. Looking forward to see how this proposal pans out, anything that replaces these sleepy motels is a win in my books lol

Attachments

• 20230313_183023.jpg
    20230313_183023.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 355
I wasn't aware of the planned bicycle route along Kingston. Even through I am a bit of a petrol head, I actually came to enjoy using the Active TO Bike Lanes they had running along Brimley Rd. back in summer 2020 (You can still see the repainted lines today). I could easily see how they would be infuriating for daily commuters though.

With Kingston Road being 6 lanes wide from Danforth all the way up to Rouge it seems like a great place to do something similar; cut out short distance car commutes along the whole avenue. I'll look forward to using it when and if it gets built 🤙

Some photos from the site:
(Looking down St Quentin Ave)
View attachment 461825

Looking up Kingston Road from the Site (Autobody shop and Motel adjacent and Skale Bluffs Condo in the Background):
20230313_183023-jpg.461826

52 Quentin (I blurred plates off):
View attachment 461827

Opposite Side of Kingston Road (Another Skale Developments proposal where the 2 eye sore motels are and Site Plan for a Place of Worship on the corner of Kingston and Brimley)
View attachment 461829
Futile Public Notice
View attachment 461828

I haven't walked through this area since going to Highschool, reminds me how much of an eye sore some of the buildings along this stretch of Kingston are. The site itself seems quite tight. Looking forward to see how this proposal pans out, anything that replaces these sleepy motels is a win in my books lol

We too enjoyed using the bicycle lanes along Brimley. You may or may not be aware, but if those bike lanes return, Brimley will become a connecting route from Cliffcrest / Cliffside to the Meadoway at Lawrence.

The Meadoway (a collaboration between the City and TRCA) has been approved (Northern Light may have updated info) and several sections are already open. Slicing through Scarborough, the Meadoway will be somewhat of a cycling / walking super highway connecting Harboufront to the Zoo.

https://themeadoway.ca/

According to the TRCA website, contracts have been awarded to construct a tunnel and pedestrian-cycle crossing of the Metrolinx rail corridor and construction is scheduled to be completed by November 2023.

https://trca.ca/conservation/green-infrastructure/east-don-trail-project/news/#3-01-23

Also of interest to cyclists in Cliffcrest is the TRCA’s plan to connect Bluffers Park to East Point Park where the Waterfront Trail takes you east past Frenchman’s Bay.

https://trca.ca/conservation/green-infrastructure/scarborough-waterfront-project/#overview

Compared to the rest of Toronto, Scarborough has been lacking in cycling connectivity, especially if you are reluctant (as we are) to ride in traffic and rely on cycle tracks / lanes.

Hopefully the approval of the Danforth cycle track extension to St. Clair (and eventually to Scarborough Golf Club Road) will help change Cliffcrest’s motel strip into a more vibrant walkable community.

Also, for wishful thinking, take a look at the City’s Major City-wide Cycling Routes map. Zoom into the shoreline between Bluffers Park and The Beach. See the dotted line indicating “Future Study Required”. Imagine being able to cycle along the beautiful shoreline from Cliffcrest to The Boardwalk. Wow.

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...Attachment-3-Map-of-Major-Citywide-Routes.pdf

Back