2759 Kingston Road | 36.83m | 9s | Aroma | Baron Nelson Architects

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This new to the AIC application is for a 9s building on the south side of Kingston Road, involving a 3 property assembly 2759-2761 Kingston Road and an SFH, 52 Quentin on the adjacent side street.

A look at the site as is:

Aerial:

1668691599691.png

Streetview (Kingston frontage):

1668691676889.png

Quentin frontage:

1668691730660.png

The app:

1668691756187.png

From the Docs:

From the North-East:

1668691934811.png

From the north:

1668692010584.png

From the north-west:

1668692075029.png

Looking Northward up Quentin:

1668692126849.png

Aerial view from the south-east:

1668692184267.png

Site Plan: (Kingston Road at top of image)

1668692296294.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1668692368373.png

1668692483549.png

1668692515525.png

1668692553922.png

Comments: Mostly fine and innocuous. But No Street Trees are proposed for Kingston Road. Unacceptable, will create a poor pedestrian environment with no buffer to large volumes of traffic. Utility conflicts are mentioned though the actually drawings don't suggest this is a consequential issue to me; the other reason given is the need for the pedestrian clearway. (ie. total sidewalk is not wide enough). At well over 3M I think the sidewalk is ballpark wide enough for trees and a clearway, though the space might be tight relative to potential pedestrian volumes. This building is already on the skinny side, so shaving another 0.5M off the podium isn't ideal. Whether space is claimed from the road, or the podium, or the developer elects to deepen the site with further acquisition I believe that needs remedying.

Note that the SFH here is a Neighbourhood zoning. From a policy perspective I see no reason that shouldn't change, but it may be the subject of some pushback.

Last edited:

JBR

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anything is better than what’s currently here. Hav-A-Nap I hope is next…

egotrippin

Member Bio
Reaction score
One day Kingston is going to have a lovely continuous form of midrise from the Beaches out to Highway 2. It's definitely my preferred scale for city building outside of the core, and while not every new build is a gem, it's already vastly improving the streetscape. With the exception of a few nicer blocks, Kingston was always quite humdrum for such a historically important thoroughfare.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
One day Kingston is going to have a lovely continuous form of midrise from the Beaches out to Highway 2. It's definitely my preferred scale for city building outside of the core, and while not every new build is a gem, it's already vastly improving the streetscape.

Agreed.

With the exception of a few nicer blocks, Kingston was always quite humdrum for such a historically important thoroughfare.

Also agreed, but would add; the road didn't have a lot of great heritage architecture on many parts as it went very rapidly from farms to subdivisions, in the post WWII era, particularly east of Midland.

That said, it did have more character than it does now, but a good deal was lost by the widening and re-alignments of Kingston Road to six lanes that happened several decades back.

egotrippin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed.

Also agreed, but would add; the road didn't have a lot of great heritage architecture on many parts as it went very rapidly from farms to subdivisions, in the post WWII era, particularly east of Midland.

That said, it did have more character than it does now, but a good deal was lost by the widening and re-alignments of Kingston Road to six lanes that happened several decades back.
True, and of course a chunk of the original street that isn't Kingston anymore, but rather Old Kingston.

99.Furies

Member Bio
Reaction score
Have been lurking UT for a while now, particularly interested in developments along the Kingston; been living in the cliffs area for a while.

Development looks good at first glance. Assembly of 52 Quentin into the site makes sense, would be a tight site else wise, specially for a 9 story condo. I echo the sentiment of wanting more Street Trees along Kingston Rd.

It does seem rather cramped. Interested to see how city staff will be respond, I wanna wager that similar to 2880 Kingston Road they might end up scaling down just a bit. There's a relatively new neighbourhood group here that spurred as result of the proposal along Windy Ridge Dr. I'm sure they'll have some objections :rolleyes:

Anything is better than what’s currently here. Hav-A-Nap I hope is next…
I'm sure something is in the works for that derelict motel, judging by the ownership of the neighboring parcel ...

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Have been lurking UT for a while now, particularly interested in developments along the Kingston; been living in the cliffs area for a while.

Development looks good at first glance. Assembly of 52 Quentin into the site makes sense, would be a tight site else wise, specially for a 9 story condo. I echo the sentiment of wanting more Street Trees along Kingston Rd.

It does seem rather cramped. Interested to see how city staff will be respond, I wanna wager that similar to 2880 Kingston Road they might end up scaling down just a bit. There's a relatively new neighbourhood group here that spurred as result of the proposal along Windy Ridge Dr. I'm sure they'll have some objections :rolleyes:

I'm sure something is in the works for that derelict motel, judging by the ownership of the neighboring parcel ...

Welcome to the forum (as a participant) @99.Furies. Good first post, I look forward to many more!

Last edited: