1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 382     0 

260 Eight Street & 214 Birmingham Street

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
According to CreateTO website, the site was sold sometime after 2018.

1595872231082.png

(I believe the site also includes the rectangle parcel between Birmingham Street and the CanPar facility.)

PROJECT INTRODUCTION
Keeping true to its historically industrial character, the 24-acre site in Etobicoke South is one of the only large industrial sites left in the City of Toronto. Originally part of a larger 40-acre property, the site was used for metal manufacturing for over 80 years, ending operations in 1991 when the buildings were demolished. A historically designated Toronto Hydro building remains on the lands. Located in close proximity to the Gardiner Expressway, the site has the opportunity for a design build of up to 600,000 square feet.

Historical Use and Environmental Remediation
The Property was historically used for manufacturing cut stone and brass products from 1910 to 1989. From 1989-2005 the Lands were decommissioned and a property assessment and environmental investigations was undertaken. A Phase I and II were conducted and contaminants including various chemicals and metals were found in the soil and ground water. In 2005, immediately prior to the acquisition of the lands by Arrowhead, Stantec Environment Services completed a partial remediation on the Lands which included removal of hot spots to reduce the source of contaminants in impacted soil and the installation of an Impermeable and Permeable Reactive Barrier Wall (“PRB”) along the eastern property line and a portion of the south property line. The PRB wall facilitates remediation of the impacted water as it flows through the PRB preventing continued off-site migration of VOC and other contaminants. Samples collected as part of the ongoing monitoring process, demonstrate the continued effectiveness of the PRB.

Site Area (acres): 24.1
Past Use: Vacant
Proposed Use: Industrial
Official Plan - Land Use Designation: Employment Area
Opportunity: For Sale

PROJECT OBJECTIVES
  • Employment use
  • Environmental remediation
  • Repurpose a vacant underutilized property
  • Restoration of the former historical Toronto Hydro Building to be designated (124 Birmingham St)
More info can be found here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-113030.pdf

There was a prospective rendering of a potential industrial facility included in one of the brokers brochures for the site that I found below. Note the inclusion of the heritage property:

1595872337116.png

I could not find information about who purchased the site, but I am curious about their plans for the site. Logistics, warehouse, and distribution facilities are becoming some of the hottest industrial assets, and the site has a valuable location near the Toronto core.

I also think that a long-term employment conversion of parts of the property (specifically the Birmingham and Eighth frontages) to mixed-use wouldn't be an unwise play.

The abandoned New Toronto Hydro Substation at 124 Birmingham Street is heritage designated property on the site.

The New Toronto hydro substation was completed in 1917, designed by Edward James Lennox in the Edwardian Classical style. E.J. Lennox is the same architect responsible for many Toronto landmarks such as Old City Hall and Casa Loma. The substation was built to accommodate the growing electricity demands of New Toronto, which was once a major industrial suburb. 124 Birmingham Street and the surrounding site are currently for sale by CreateTO, the city's real estate arm. A request was placed in April 2019 by councillor Mark Grimes for heritage designation.

Images sourced from ACO Toronto (see link above):

1595873021694.png
1595873028568.png

1595873035319.png

1595873041474.png

The heritage designation request can be found here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-132264.pdf

The rectangular parcel next door has an active site plan application to construct an off-site surface parking lot for Humber College will be serviced by a shuttle bus:

I seem to recall this parcel having a site plan application for two industrial buildings a few years ago, however it is no longer on the city's website.

Well it's better than the data center they were trying to put there

Also the parking lot plan for that small sliver of land in front of canpar has been on the Toronto development website for a while

This site is a very key player in revitilizing the New Toronto area, so hopefully the proposal is actually a beneficial one to the area.

The rectangular parcel next door has an active site plan application to construct an off-site surface parking lot for Humber College will be serviced by a shuttle bus:

I seem to recall this parcel having a site plan application for two industrial buildings a few years ago, however it is no longer on the city's website.
Now this is a joke and a waste of space, I havent heard of this plan. I dont know why they're diddling around with solving their student parking issue. Simply put, there's not enough parking for their students and they need a real plan to resolve this issue. They haven't even seriously attempted to fix the issue, and this doesnt come close to cutting it.

Also Campbell's is being turned into 3 separate warehouses. @Amare so there could be a number of jobs coming back to the neighborhood

Interesting I havent heard of this one either. Where could i find more info on that one?

I was interested in buying the old Hydro Station and renovating the property like I did to the old Bell Canada building down the street at 80 Birmingham St. If you hear of them wanting to sell off just the old building, let me know. I contacted Councillor Grimes office and said the entire property had been sold. I don't know who owns it. But I did speak to the contractors working on the property next door, and it is Humber College building a parking garage. Hopefully they bought the property next door as well and plan to save the old Hydro building and incorporate it in a new building design. I spoke with some people involved with redeveloping the Campbell's Soup site and they do plan to keep the historic portion of Campbell's Soup. They came to see my building.

Attachments

• 60 Birmingham Redevelopm_20200925190131.pdf
    142.3 KB · Views: 227
Not sure what to make of this, but there was a single bulldozer on site today pushing around dirt and literally nothing more. Unless some action happened after I left the area.

Not sure what to make of this, but there was a single bulldozer on site today pushing around dirt and literally nothing more. Unless some action happened after I left the area.

No new applications into the AIC; no permits in process.

Back