News   Apr 24, 2024
 941     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

259 Geary Ave (The Brick redevelopment, TAS, ?s, Lemay)

Not sure how this could really be residential - the site is only 42m deep and you need a 30m rail setback from residential uses.

I've been waiting to see this for so long! I wonder if the old warehouse is still there, covered by the red metal siding. If that's the case, it could be an interesting conversion and podium for a new building - add add some character back to that stretch.

Source: https://storage.googleapis.com/sidewalk-old-toronto/images/s0372_ss0100_it0315.jpg

Not sure how this could really be residential - the site is only 42m deep and you need a 30m rail setback from residential uses.

Row of shallow towns? (Though, I guess that probably doesn't work with a $16M acquisition price...)

Going through TAS' portfolio, they've focused primarily on residential projects in the past. But I wouldn't mind seeing a mixed development here combining office/employment uses. Geary, east of Dufferin has of course been booming. There's also been a recent influx of gallery spaces nearby such as the new "Client From Hell" event showroom on Dufferin and Peter Triantos gallery on Brandon.

I've been waiting to see this for so long! I wonder if the old warehouse is still there, covered by the red metal siding. If that's the case, it could be an interesting conversion and podium for a new building - add add some character back to that stretch.

Considering that TAS is the developer behind 2 Tecumseth (which looks to resurrects the old Toronto Municipal Abattoir building ), I hope that's the case.

That being said, I wonder how much is still there?

Some more photos of the Brick building in it's current form before eventual redevelopment.

The more I think about it, it's mainly intensified employment space on this site that makes sense. Like something along the lines of 77 Wade near Lansdowne station. Which may have increased demand here once the Galleria redevelopment is realized and an influx of new residents move in.

20200726_072818.jpg
20200726_072901.jpg
20200726_073105.jpg
20200726_073136.jpg
20200726_073200.jpg

Definitely am hopeful about that, as TAS does some interesting urban renewal projects- their 2 Tecumseh project restores the old municipal abattoir building that most other developers would have written off.

I do think some amount of the original warehouse facade is still there, as most siding is usually overclad on top of the existing facade- you can see the brick in some parts where the siding doesn't come all the way to the ground.

259 Geary Avenue

This will be the first commercial community hub that TAS develops and builds, and we could not be more enthusiastic about its location and potential. The project vision and design have been informed by the City of Toronto’s Geary Works Planning Study – which seeks to preserve and promote local businesses, residents and celebrate the unique character of the street. We are keen to offer something that is both fresh and useful to the dramatic redevelopment underway in this area. We see great opportunity to blend best-practices from around the corner and across the globe to ensure our project offers new commercial and retail models that drive jobs and economic activity. We intend to take a playful but rigorous approach to architecture and deliver a striking, open and raw space befitting its creative and industrial context.

Location: DovercourtWallace Emerson Junction neighbourhood, Toronto, Canada
Estimated Construction Start: 2024
Design Architect: Lemay
Key Stats: TBD during design phase

DPages-from-259GEARY_Trajectories_spr-1-1024x561.jpg

So they are stacking those red warehouses on concrete stilts? Not sure how transport trucks are supposed to get to them, but it kinda looks cool though.

Back