Toronto The Whitney on Redpath | 69.19m | 21s | The Benvenuto Group | NEUF

takefive

Member Bio
Reaction score
A developer has been acquiring properties along the north side of Soudan east from Redpath. I was wondering if there is any info on this?

Here's a fresh proposal for Yonge and Eglinton, fronting onto three side streets.

Properties include
71-71 Redpath Avenue
174-200 Soudan Avenue
18 Brownlow Avenue

Just saw the development sign go up on Redpath with the details. Two rental towers 17 and 22 stories, plus retaining the existing rental building on 18 Brownlow. This one's next door to the newer tower and townhomes that went up on Redpath in 2010: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...21s-the-benvenuto-group-sweeny-co.4065/page-5

IMG_6175.JPG

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6175.JPG
    IMG_6175.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,594
  • IMG_6176.JPG
    IMG_6176.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,306
  • IMG_6177.JPG
    IMG_6177.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 467
  • IMG_6179.JPG
    IMG_6179.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3,068
  • IMG_6178.JPG
    IMG_6178.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,100
Despite the notice saying 22 and 17 storeys on a 3 storey base, the image looks like that's a 5-storey base. It's an early massing study and all, but that undifferentiated podium face (other than the black hole halfway along) is not going to go over well with the people living on the other side of Soudan.

Here's what's currently on site

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And the existing rental tower on the right
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3,113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,979
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3,060
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,807
Ah I was wondering if there was an existing thread, but didn't come up with anything when I did a search. Maybe interchange42 can merge the two.

I can't find it in the Midtown thread either, and I was pretty sure I got all existing threads of developments in the area as of the last edit date (Jan 2015).

Does this project include the townhouses built as part of 83 Redpath?

Actually this project sits immediately to the south of the townhomes built as part of 83 Redpath, so it doesn't include them in its proposal.

I'm confused as to why and how developers are able to build high rises on these small neighbourhood streets lined with detached 2 storey homes in this area yet right downtown there are so many major arterial roads like Bathurst, Dufferin, etc that continue to be lined with dilapidated detached Victorians. Are there different bylaws in place in various areas? I though neighbourhoods like the one pictured above would fall into the city's "stable neighbourhoods" category...

I'm confused as to why and how developers are able to build high rises on these small neighbourhood streets lined with detached 2 storey homes in this area yet right downtown there are so many major arterial roads like Bathurst, Dufferin, etc that continue to be lined with dilapidated detached Victorians. Are there different bylaws in place in various areas? I though neighbourhoods like the one pictured above would fall into the city's "stable neighbourhoods" category...
Soudan is right near Yonge & Eglinton, which is zoned much differently than Bathurst.

different designations. I believe the area is designated "apartment neighbourhoods" despite the lowrise housing currently there. The south side of the street is "neighborhoods", and this wouldnt be permitted.

Back