Toronto 243 College Street | ?m | 30s | BDP Quadrangle

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe this is next door to to the U of T Student Residence proposal....http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/11/uofts-college-street-residence-reduced-24-storeys

243 COLLEGE ST
Site Plan Approval 12 194899 STE 20 SA Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Jun 18, 2012 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for the purposes of a new 30 storey mixed use building complete with 354m2 of retail at grade, 3,798m2 of office uses, and 121 residential dwelling units above. Included in the proposal is the provision of 69 parking spaces in a below grade parking facility, 57 for residents, 11 for the office uses, and 1 car share space.

http://goo.gl/maps/jtVg

This boom is getting way out of hand. The building currently at 243 College is beautiful and has historical value far greater than whatever can be created there. Please no new building here : /

This boom is getting way out of hand. The building currently at 243 College is beautiful and has historical value far greater than whatever can be created there. Please no new building here : /

Agreed. The developments on King (between Yonge and Church), Restaurant Row, over the backpackers hostel on Widmer, and now this, are revealing a very disturbing trend. They're going too far (and that says a lot, coming from me).

+2 What Sp!re and Ramako said.

Anyone know what the condition of the inside looks like? It appears the windows have been upgraded relatively recently.

There's a proposal for restaurant row, as in King and John? Please tell me no. Is nothing sacred? :(

There's a proposal for restaurant row, as in King and John? Please tell me no. Is nothing sacred? :(

Restaurant row buildings will stay intact, dont worry, but this is not looking good,
This and the proposed 24s U of T residence next door most likely will be the start of a major transformation of the north side of College street from Spadina to Beverley...

Gee a lot of nice old structures in its path, but then again we have Adam that should be able to work out any type of deal with developers favouring the city.

Restaurant row buildings will stay intact, dont worry, but this is not looking good,
This and the proposed 24s U of T residence next door most likely will be the start of a major transformation of the north side of College street from Spadina to Beverley...

Gee a lot of nice old structures in its path, but then again we have Adam that should be able to work out any type of deal with developers favouring the city.

the north side of College are all Uof T buildings.
are you saying there are plans to develop the architecture, library, engineering, etc buildings?

or did you mean the south side of College, where i've heard more rumblings about?

I agree with all above stated concerns. I believe the key issue here is the existence of a gap in policy and urban design guidelines. This site is situated in a small pocket of land that isn't subject to the performance standards of the City of Toronto Avenues and Mid-Rise Buildings Study (begins several blocks to the west), or the recommendations of the City's Downtown Tall Building Guidelines (study area terminates to the east). Short-sighted thinking on the part of the City. The existing zoning won't stand up, because it is indefensible. Therefore, the local development community sees a major opportunity in this area, where the existing planning and design framework doesn't apply or simply isn't relevant.

Back