News   Mar 28, 2024
 229     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 617     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 

2282 Lake Shore Blvd W. (Polish Alliance Hall)

Filip

Member Bio
Reaction score
I received a community newsletter from Chestnut Park about the proposed redevelopment of the ghastly Polish Alliance Hall (a 2 storey concrete bunker surrounded by a sea of parking) at the corner of Lakeshore and Fleeceline. Since we live right down the street from this proposal we just received more info about it.

Here's an excerpt from the newsletter:

New Development Proposal - Polish Alliance Hall location

It has been brought to my attention by our residents that the Polish Alliance Hall is reported to be entertaining a bid to sell to the Daniels Group, as builders. Apparently, the preliminary intent of this group is to build a subsidized housing project on the site.

--- What concerns me is this subsidized bit, especially considering Daniels hasn't been in the business of subsidized (aside from the Regent Park project). Otherwise getting rid of that little concrete scar is welcome.

Doesn't Daniels have a long history of subsidized and affordable projects?

I wouldn't know about their past history, but recently they have been involved in fairly 'high' end projects. I just hope this isn't like the subsidized housing further west on Lakeshore where the 'cream of the crop' if you will, live.

I wouldn't know about their past history, but recently they have been involved in fairly 'high' end projects. I just hope this isn't like the subsidized housing further west on Lakeshore where the 'cream of the crop' if you will, live.

It likely won't thrill you that the former Goodyear property that you refer to was developed by Daniels.

This is an interesting pocket in the City. Development pressure has marched westward from the motel strip but Mimico has kept it's rough edges for some time.

I quite like the area as it still has grit and working class roots.

It likely won't thrill you that the former Goodyear property that you refer to was developed by Daniels.

This is an interesting pocket in the City. Development pressure has marched westward from the motel strip but Mimico has kept it's rough edges for some time.

I quite like the area as it still has grit and working class roots.

I'm not familiar with the Goodyear property.. Was it in my neck of the woods? Mimico has recently released results from its design charette titled Mimico 20/20. It calls for the demolition of vast swaths of the government housing on the south side of Lakeshore to be developed into another condo community. It was bound to happen as Mimico sits on a very desirable location.

I'm not familiar with the Goodyear property.. Was it in my neck of the woods? Mimico has recently released results from its design charette titled Mimico 20/20. It calls for the demolition of vast swaths of the government housing on the south side of Lakeshore to be developed into another condo community. It was bound to happen as Mimico sits on a very desirable location.

Great history of the Goodyear plant and its importance to the area:
http://www.newtorontohistorical.com/Goodyear Tire.htm

Great history of the Goodyear plant and its importance to the area:
http://www.newtorontohistorical.com/Goodyear Tire.htm

Ah yes, that site! I'm quite familiar with it. New Toronto is an interesting community that seems stuck in the 70s (complete with the godawful mullets). What I like about it is at least it has a vibrant retail/restaurant scene unlike Mimico that seems to be asleep half the time. That's why I cannot wait till gentrification runs its course and hopefully injects some vital 'life' into the area.

Oddly enough, while digging in the Humber Bay Shores website, they seem to have 'split' themselves from Mimico. According to the city, Mimico stretches to the Humber River, but the HBS community has even taken my street as part of their own (someone should tell them about the Mimico street signs outside my townhouse!)

Mimico has recently released results from its design charette titled Mimico 20/20. It calls for the demolition of vast swaths of the government housing on the south side of Lakeshore to be developed into another condo community. It was bound to happen as Mimico sits on a very desirable location.

I hope they keep the two 60's apartment buildings with mint green brick!

This is good news. Funny, that me and my wife were talking about the Polish Alliance Hall, and its potential redevelopment as we walked past it the other day.

Have you any news about the Polish Alliance Hall lands and whether Daniels Developments will be proceeding with a development on these lands? It has been almost a year since you noticed the community newsletter from Chestnut Park. We should keep track of this.

Sorry for the bump, but I have a little update:

A neighbour just stopped me on my walk home to discuss the plans that she heard about the redevelopment of the Polish Alliance Hall. Apparently, the builder (still not identified) intends to build Co-op housing on the site. The neighbourhood association, including all the residents of the townhouses fronting the site, Grand Harbour, Marina del Rey and future owners of Beyond the Sea are planning to start a petition against subsidized housing on the site.

Many worry that this type of housing will attract the undesirables from the Mimico ghetto and New Toronto areas into a fairly affluent community.. Thoughts?

Thanks for the update, Filip.

I heard awhile ago that the landowner's Board is split between two warring factions and that they are headed to court, which may take a year or so. Consideration of a land sale has therefore been delayed. Given what you heard, however, they may have settled the dispute and may now be moving forward with a land sale.

Perhaps your acquaintance knows more about the state of affairs.

Thanks for the update, Filip.

I heard awhile ago that the landowner's Board is split between two warring factions and that they are headed to court, which may take a year or so. Consideration of a land sale has therefore been delayed. Given what you heard, however, they may have settled the dispute and may now be moving forward with a land sale.

Perhaps your acquaintance knows more about the state of affairs.
She knows just as much as the rest of us. What are your thoughts on subsidized housing on the site? Can it be made attractive like Regent Park or the St Lawrence Market area, or will it be a bedbug palace like the crackhouses which line the south side of Lakeshore? I truly hope for the former!

She knows just as much as the rest of us. What are your thoughts on subsidized housing on the site? Can it be made attractive like Regent Park or the St Lawrence Market area, or will it be a bedbug palace like the crackhouses which line the south side of Lakeshore? I truly hope for the former!

Filip,

Unfortunately, given the ingrained character of the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, any publicly-assisted housing would be captive to the Karma, and politics, of those crack houses. The solution is to transform the area, in the spirit of Marina del Ray, rather than attempt to reform it. That's my view.

Back