Toronto 225 Brunswick | ?m | 4s | Kopas Developments | SA

AlexBozikovic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Conversion of a former church and synagogue into seven apartments.

DF9C214F-4A9F-4A93-AACA-5B33D6EDB9B2.jpeg

Hopefully this goes through. Good opportunity to contribute some incremental density, multi-unit housing in a primarily low-rise residential section of the area.

Commentary on the appeal from the developer and various area residents:

To me the piece reads as though there is a 'middle ground'.

I think the developer here has been responsible in just about every conceivable way.

The neighbour's take does not deserve equal weight.

I actually don't mind neighbours expressing their self-interest; even where that conflicts w/the public interest.

It's a legitimate thing; and fair to ask for what works for you.

But this is not a case of some out-of-step or insensitive proposal..........other than status quo, it doesn't get much better.

Just no. The appeal is unreasonable.

The neighbours of 225 Brunswick have now started a $30,000 GoFundMe that starts with - "Downtown Toronto Alert: this could happen to you. Help us to fight development-creep."

This NIMBY crap is embarrassingly-consistent in Toronto, by folks who would call themselves "Progressives". :rolleyes:

LINK - https://ca.gofundme.com/f/save-225-brunswick-avenue

This is fundamentally why we need province/city-wide changes and policies. Fighting this c*** block-by-block doesn’t scale: there are always aggrieved neighbours, always people who don’t like change, and people who live in the area and support this don’t want to speak up because it poisons the situation.

The neighbours of 225 Brunswick have now started a $30,000 GoFundMe that starts with - "Downtown Toronto Alert: this could happen to you. Help us to fight development-creep."

This NIMBY crap is embarrassingly-consistent in Toronto, by folks who would call themselves "Progressives". :rolleyes:

LINK - https://ca.gofundme.com/f/save-225-brunswick-avenue

They are not helping themselves with this choice of language. Whenever these types of groups mention "density creep", my mind just associates them as being creeps.

They are not helping themselves with this choice of language. Whenever these types of groups mention "density creep", my mind just associates them as being creeps.
They could always move out to more rural constituencies instead if they're going to be like that. But they should be aware that many of these areas embrace sprawl...which would make adding an extension to a heritage structure nothing in comparison. To me, that would be development creep.

Back