Toronto 2200 Eglinton Avenue East | 152.9m | 46s | Dream | BDP Quadrangle

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
2200-2206 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 37 - Scarborough District

►View All Properties

Proposed Official Plan amendment to permit future development comprising of mixed uses, new public roads and parks while retaining existing office building and parking structure.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA 18 206702 ESC 37 OZ Aug 9, 2018 Under Review

2200-2206 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 37 - Scarborough District

►View All Properties

Proposed Official Plan amendment to permit future development comprising of mixed uses, new public roads and parks while retaining existing office building and parking structure.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA 18 206702 ESC 37 OZ Aug 9, 2018 Under Review

This is the site of the former Aviva Insurance HQ, before they relocated; and is otherwise known as home to Scarborough's outpost of the Mandarin restaurant.

Not a particularly urban-friendly site in its current configuration.

Conceptual Site Plan:
upload_2018-8-15_18-38-5.png

upload_2018-8-15_18-38-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-15_18-38-5.png
    upload_2018-8-15_18-38-5.png
    373.3 KB · Views: 2,532
  • upload_2018-8-15_18-38-26.png
    upload_2018-8-15_18-38-26.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 2,500
Another project in Scarborough’s Golden Mile neighbourhood along Eglinton Crosstown. This along with Eglinton Square Mall redevelopment, Golden Mile Centre and Cosmetica lands will really change this area drastically.

Now if the SKF Bearings plant site were to come into play for redevelopment, that would be something.

(A comment for fellow old-timers on this site....)

Another project in Scarborough’s Golden Mile neighbourhood along Eglinton Crosstown. This along with Eglinton Square Mall redevelopment, Golden Mile Centre and Cosmetica lands will really change this area drastically.
None of this is possible, as LRTs don't spur development, only subway subways subways do.

Now if the SKF Bearings plant site were to come into play for redevelopment, that would be something.

(A comment for fellow old-timers on this site....)

I'm not THAT old....... but I do know someone who told me the current Scotiabank campus at 2201 Eglinton (across from the site named in this thread) was once a ball-bearings plant.

Can I assume that's what you're talking about?

If so, I doubt that's in play, in the short-term.

The SB statement posted in the BA North thread indicated a Scarborough campus is part of their plans into the 2020s; and I know that site is in the midst of a 20M up

I'm not THAT old....... but I do know someone who told me the current Scotiabank campus at 2201 Eglinton (across from the site named in this thread) was once a ball-bearings plant.

Can I assume that's what you're talking about?

If so, I doubt that's in play, in the short-term.

The SB statement posted in the BA North thread indicated a Scarborough campus is part of their plans into the 2020s; and I know that site is in the midst of a 20M up

Yes - that the one. Looks to be around 15 acres in size. The SKF plant closed close to 40 years ago. At the time, two parcels were for sale, one of 14 1/4 acres and the other indicated as also being available, of 24 1/4 acres. It looks like Scotia Bank now occupies the 14 1/4 acre site. It is a very low density usage, very large low rise building and a much smaller newer office building, surrounded by giant parking lots. All on a corner about to get a LRT transit stop.

I realize that Scotia Bank has no present plans to relocate, but in the fullness of time, once the LRT is operational, well, we shall see....

Meanwhile here is the URL for a picture from 1982: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca...003709F&R=DC-TSPA_0003709F&searchPageType=vrl

Thanks for the picture @AHK. I worked at the Scotiabank campus ten years ago this summer. I knew that it was a former industrial / manufacturing facility but was unaware that it was for SKF.

Regarding the site plan, boy, is that ever lazy. I hope that this isn't the kind of uninspired garbage that will become standard with these huge, former industrial sites along Eglinton East.

It's clearly a package thrown together quickly to have a say in the secondary plan study the city is undertaking for the Golden Mile currently.

Yes - that the one. Looks to be around 15 acres in size. The SKF plant closed close to 40 years ago. At the time, two parcels were for sale, one of 14 1/4 acres and the other indicated as also being available, of 24 1/4 acres. It looks like Scotia Bank now occupies the 14 1/4 acre site. It is a very low density usage, very large low rise building and a much smaller newer office building, surrounded by giant parking lots. All on a corner about to get a LRT transit stop.

I realize that Scotia Bank has no present plans to relocate, but in the fullness of time, once the LRT is operational, well, we shall see....

Meanwhile here is the URL for a picture from 1982: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca...003709F&R=DC-TSPA_0003709F&searchPageType=vrl

It's my impression they intend to shift more workers onto this site. They have actually acquired/leased some property to the south of the big parking lot. They also have at least 2 other off-site parking lots, including the one opposite the jail, fronting Eglinton.

I'm not sure how many people they hope to jam into the existing space, I believe the previous max was around 5,000, it will be more.

But I haven't heard anything about an additional tower or such as this point.

Certainly there is an opportunity to do something much better from an urban perspective.

Ideally while retaining the employment use, but adding density and retail and burying most or all of the parking.

Thanks for the picture @AHK. I worked at the Scotiabank campus ten years ago this summer. I knew that it was a former industrial / manufacturing facility but was unaware that it was for SKF.

Regarding the site plan, boy, is that ever lazy. I hope that this isn't the kind of uninspired garbage that will become standard with these huge, former industrial sites along Eglinton East.

Before SKF this building was part of the massive General Engineering Company lands, making munitions/war supplies occupying 350 acres of land.

I think the site was roughly, Hymus (rail spur below it) to Eglinton, and Birchmount to Warden or a bit further west.

Many of the original buildings are gone, but this is one that is still there.

Interestingly, many of the buildings were connected by large underground tunnels.

Those tunnels still exist in many spots, while in others they have either been walled off, converted to storage or in some cases allowed to collapse.

Lots of fascinating info here:

http://www.barbaradickson.ca/geco-in-a-time-of-peace/

You have to hop around a bit and look at different pages on her site. The comments often reveal a great deal as well.

Last edited:
2200 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 21 - Scarborough District

Draft Plan of Subdivision to create 11 blocks. 5 blocks for development lands, 2 blocks for open space/parkland and 4 blocks for new public roads and road widening on Birchmount Road.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Subdivision Approval​
20 154640 ESC 21 SB​
Jun 10, 2020​
Under Review​