News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

21/6: The Day of Architecture - Utrecht, The Netherlands

Ronald

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last saturday, the "Day of Architecture" was held in every larger city in the Netherlands. A lot of buildings were open to the public. There were tours organized in many cities aswell (both on land and on the water), where an architect would guide you through the city, taking you along architectural highlights of the town. In addition to this there were many expos, debates, and more architecture-related activities. And, everything was free too! :) I stayed right here in Utrecht, grabbing this chance to get to know more about the city I've been living in for slightly over a year now.

Ready to embark? My old roommate and I took a tour along the historic channels of Utrecht.
IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

The Dom Tower, the icon of the city. It has been voted "the prettiest building in The Netherlands"
IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Facades along the old channel. The one to the right doesn't fit in so well IMO, it lacks details you'd expect a building in such a prime location to have!
IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Just when you think you're in an historic environment, this new building pops up. It's for sale, for 1.2 mln euros it's yours.
IMG_0649.jpg

Nearly all of the inner city is surrounded by a wider channel.
IMG_0651.jpg

Leaving the inner city, heading south.
IMG_0655.jpg

Entering the "Dichterswijk" (Poet's neighbourhood). This used to be an industrial area/ harbour as recently as 2 decades ago.
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Believe it or not, these left-overs from the harbour-era are now in use as offices.
IMG_0659.jpg

The inside:
IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Looking at the Dichterswijk from inside the silos.
IMG_0689.jpg

New residences and their courtyards
IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Cars are all parked underground here.
IMG_0668.jpg

Another interesting building/ fancy restaurant along the quay.
IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Along one wall, the layout of the new neighbourhood can be seen.
IMG_0678.jpg

Back in the inner city, crowded as ever on a saturday afternoon.
IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Square behind City Hall. One of Utrecht's finest public spaces, IMO.
IMG_0699.jpg

Square behind City Hall (cont.)
IMG_0701.jpg

Inside City Hall, there was an expo on Architecture in Utrecht in the year 2018. Here's some pics of the expo.
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

To conclude the day, there was a debate at the square behind City Hall. Architects, Urban Designers and members from the City Council reflected on the current situation of Utrecht and the possibilities for the future of Architecture in the city. The lady in the middle is Marlies Rohmer, designer of, amongst other, Casa Confetti, new student housing on Utrecht University's campus. (http://www.skyscrapercity.info/100.php?id=4&bid=2422; http://www.trajectum.hu.nl/files/beeld/nieuws/casa.jpg)

IMG_0712.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! Since I'm going to study in Gainesville, Florida next semester, this was one of my last photo threads of Dutch cities for a while.

Like being there again, thank you. Dutch people are TALL. Men mostly 6foot, women 5'10". Must be a diet heavy on milk or something.

Back