News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

2022 Municipal Election: Council Races

More of a lucky bounce than the norm.

Generally only those of European or North American heritage win the riding.
But that's also do to the entrenched, inertia-ridden matter of incumbency and party politics, relative to which point of origin's more incidental than it appears (Though admittedly, to those carrying racialized skepticism, the name "Doly Begum" is less aggressively "ethnic" than "Alamgir Hussein")

Just learned through Radio-Canada that neither of the candidates for French public school trustee in Toronto Centre actually speaks French. No choice but to cancel my vote. How can such a thing happen? It's infuriating.
I saw that. I don't know how they can be on the board, all of the business is conducted in French. Over here in the west end, Oger is being acclaimed so I don't get to vote, but in 2018 we had three good races in Toronto for Viamonde - this time not so much.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to vote for in Ward 13? I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit this, but what the hell: I have no idea who any of these people are.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to vote for in Ward 13? I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit this, but what the hell: I have no idea who any of these people are.
Start at this link. Click on the globe in the connect column for the candidates' wide-world website.

The Star had put out its Council race endorsements over the last 3 days.

In looking at those from today.......no surprise they endorsed Bradford; but interesting that they opposed Gary Crawford; in favour of Kevin Rupasinghe.

I doubt it will make a difference here, but I happen to agree w/them on this one.

The Star has recommendation, for the establishment candidate:

1666369451515.png

I had a look-see at all the other candidates for the ward w/web pages.

I would certainly invite you to draw your own conclusions, but I would say that all seem a bit problematic in one fashion or another, even as many have some singular ideas worthy of consideration.

Anyone know who has the best shot in Ward 2 against Holyday? I know he'll probably win, but even the Star isn't endorsing anyone here, and I don't want to waste my vote.

Anyone know who has the best shot in Ward 2 against Holyday? I know he'll probably win, but even the Star isn't endorsing anyone here, and I don't want to waste my vote.
Yanuziello. He's the progressive candidate there. He's getting my vote. I can't stand that useless turd Holyday.

So what happens a sitting councilor dies during an election?

Does this impact the election?

Very good question. Her name obviously stays on the ballot, and it depends how many people voted by mail and at advanced polls, and how well the news travels between now and Monday.

If she wins, I expect there will be an immediate byelection. I think Tory and his allies would prefer that outcome because the only major challenger is left-of-centre candidate Jamaal Myers. Tory has endorsed Lai.

Back