News   Mar 28, 2024
 218     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 612     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

2022 election - who is running for mayor?

Anti-mandate anti-vaxxer nut job. She also made the effort to go and decline her vote in the last provincial election, and thinks science is no better than religion.

She ran for the Greens in a recent election, and they have a sizable anti-vax contingent.

Gil Penalosa is running.

He won’t win – he has little name recognition outside academia and the urbanist Twitter crowd – but he will hold Tory to account on things like parks maintenance, active transportation, and urban development.

Gil Penalosa is running.

He won’t win – he has little name recognition outside academia and the urbanist Twitter crowd – but he will hold Tory to account on things like parks maintenance, active transportation, and urban development.

I need to look into his bio but from my quick glance of the article, he'd get my vote.

Peñalosa will get my vote. He’s the mayor we need, and I know that he’s in a long shot scenario, but political upsets do happen.

The prospect of Tory unopposed was and is depressing, and the prospect of four more years of him is even worse. The state of our physical city has deteriorated under him. I think Tory is a disgrace.

Some quick hits on his platform:

- Cancel the rebuild of the Gardiner
- Permit 5-8 storey buildings as-of-right on transit routes
- Lower Speed limits to 30km/ph near libraries/schools/parks (so reduce the speed of streetscars and buses on large roads where there may be schools/parks? this one may need some tweaks)
- Additional dedicated streetcar lanes

- Lower Speed limits to 30km/ph near libraries/schools/parks (so reduce the speed of streetscars and buses on large roads where there may be schools/parks? this one may need some tweaks)
Could streetcars and buses be subject to speed limit exceptions?

Could streetcars and buses be subject to speed limit exceptions?

If sharing vehicle lanes, I don't believe there is any statutory provision for that.

If they're in their own ROW then I don't believe they are subject to travel lane limits at all.

Last edited:

Decent start. I'd like to hear more since I'm ready for someone other than Tory again.

Gil Penalosa is running.

He's a dream candidate. And one that inner suburbanites will never vote for.

The only question is whether his campaign will be as nasty to Penalosa as it was to Keesmaat in 2018 (which had Kouvalis' fingerprints all over it), or will he just coast and ignore him.

But what Penalosa's campaign is though, is a shot in the arm for some council candidates and to help ensure that enough downtowners and left-leaning voters go vote, and vote for better councillors too in some crucial races. Had there been no progressive standard-bearer to vote for, a lot of them would likely stay home.

Back