634     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 402     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. I view 1-member, 1-vote as all members vote on the leader and 50% wins. They could have run-off races, or ranked ballot, but its essentially the same idea. The problem here could be that 1 candidate could sign a lot of members from 1 specific demographic or geographic area - and control the entire party.
Make that a 3/4 margin for victory and I’m on board. 51% is not acceptable in academics as a claim of success beyond a simple pass, so make it 75%.

Make that a 3/4 margin for victory and I’m on board. 51% is not acceptable in academics as a claim of success beyond a simple pass, so make it 75%.
I suspect your comment is misplaced.

I think in some leadership reviews - the leader must receive a number well over 50% to avoid a leadership convention.
But I am not aware of a single leadership contest where 50% (+1) is not enough to win.

If you need 75% to win, what would that mean? If we take the PC leadership as the example - they would have to do it all over again. If still nobody over 75%, they do it over yet again. Odds are they would not be able to pick a leader and would enter the election campaign without a leader. I can't see how this could be logically applied.

Ranked ballets until someone gets 75%
That's no different than we have now.

2nd last round is 52% for one candidate and 48% for the other.
the candidate with 48% is removed from the list and the 2nd last round winner wins the final round with 100%.

or am I not understanding something.

Hunter is the most marketable candidate yet.

At least in theory.

Simply put, she has a very engaging smile, and comes across as amicable.

But her launch included remarkably little substance. Not that this is unique about candidates for party leaderships. But I fail to grasp the merit in a slow tease, when for the most part, media attention won't be the decider here.

Del Duca is genuinely annoying for reasons long covered here.

Coteau's track record is a bit more interesting.........but he doesn't have Mitzie's profile and out going demeanor.

I'd really like to see a lot more substance from all of the candidates.

And not just vague goals..........but plans for how to achieve them.

DoFo is unpopular enough that a ham sandwich could beat him. But picking Wynne's education Minister? Dumb. I'll just say it.

Like it or not, Wynne was too SJW and not enough of a fighter for the middle class. This is what cost the Liberals power. Do they really want to make the same mistakes again?

Or maybe the Liberals have just forgotten what middle class voters look like. I'm not sure anymore.

There are too many communities in Ontario (e.g. in the 905, and most of the "middle class" described above) that would never vote for a black candidate. That's it.

There are too many communities in Ontario (e.g. in the 905, and most of the "middle class" described above) that would never vote for a black candidate. That's it.
We've had an O.W.L. (old wise lesbian) premier and a black Lieutenant Governor. Are we really thinking the 905 can't vote for a black premier? Much of the inner 905 is near majority POC.

I think it's a bit of a white guy cliche to think of POCs as some monolithic species. In reality these are all very distinct communities that have nothing to do with each other. A specific asian or south asian community isn't likely to vote for a black candidate because you think "they are POCs all the same".

As for Wynne, there were extreme amounts of homophobia and misogyny towards her during her tenure (that completely got ignored), and I think the backlash towards her was fueled by these. That's actually a bad example.

I think it's a bit of a white guy cliche to think of POCs as some monolithic species.
But then you refer to the 905 as some monolith that universally won't vote for a black candidate.
There are too many communities in Ontario (e.g. in the 905) that would never vote for a black candidate.
Either we're treating those who reside in the 905 as distinct individuals, or we're not.

As for Wynne, there were extreme amounts of homophobia and misogyny towards her during her tenure (that completely got ignored), and I think the backlash towards her was fueled by these. That's actually a bad example.
It's a very good example of progressive view's victory over hate. Despite homophobia and misogyny she won a majority in 2014, a strong result given how deeply unpopular McGuinty was. No Liberal could have won in 2018.

TBH, Wynne never really put her sexuality at the forefront of her personality- something I can give her credit for.

However, the accumulated mistakes and inaction of the Liberals finally caught up with them by 2018, and her late-term announcements really seemed more like last-minute patch-ups and vote-buying, than honest policy.

I still haven't really forgiven the Liberals for their poorly implemented Green Energy Act and their kowtowing to specialty interests (esp. public sector unions), meaning that warning signs like Drummond report were disregarded.

Interestingly, in Mitzie's riding last election, the "whiter" homeowner areas S of Kingston Rd opted for her, the more "diverse" interior ones opted for her S Asian Tory opponent. (The pattern was repeated next door in Scarborough-Rouge Park, with the NDP's Felicia Samuel serving Mitzie's role. And traditionally, those polls were deemed more *Tory*-leaning--and mayorally in 2014, more *John* Tory-leaning.)

What impact will the US 2020 POTUS election have on the Ontario Liberal party? I'd argue that Obama in the US led Canadians to seek their own canard or facsimile in Trudeau. Had Trump been POTUS already I'd say Harper would have won, as Canadians would need a seasoned fighter in their corner rather than sunny ways. So, if Trump wins or looses next year, does either help or hinder the OLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back