248     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 235     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen Del Duca was preparing to take over the leadership. His local campaign launch had a lot of high-ranking Liberals, including Trudeau - his self-perceived popularity and his connections weren't enough to keep the seat, of course. I won't miss him.

The highest-profile Liberals in municipal office include Jim Watson, Bonnie Crombie, and Linda Jeffrey. I could see Bonnie Crombie making a go of it in a few years - she's popular and can help pick up 905 seats. I really like Linda Jeffrey in Brampton, but she's had a lot of trouble with an majority-obstructionist council and she hasn't been able to smooth things over well enough. That's partly her fault, but there's a lot of bad blood between those who backed her (who lean progressive) and those who backed Conservatives Susan Fennell and John Sanderson.

I was really hoping that Shelley Carroll would have won Don Valley North - she would have been great to rebuild that party. I'm also disappointed that Peter Milcyzn wasn't able to hold on.

Stephen Del Duca was preparing to take over the leadership.
Il Duce for Emperor!

Crombie gives me hope. She's been the voice of reason on a number of issues, whether that translates to the provincial level is a good question. Not to mention any current examples...

Il Duce for Emperor!

Crombie gives me hope. She's been the voice of reason on a number of issues, whether that translates to the provincial level is a good question. Not to mention any current examples...

She is a little lacking in charisma/presence - which might be a minus - voice of reason is no good if you can't rise about the screaming and yelling.

AoD

voice of reason is no good if you can't rise about the screaming and yelling.
Agreed on the lack of charisma...lol...but take a look around. I don't see anyone with any. It's pretty discouraging, save for your second point: "if you can't rise about the screaming and yelling"
Schreiner shows it can work. Was this just a 'one-off' or an indication of how the Centre will be re-established?

Agreed on the lack of charisma...lol...but take a look around. I don't see anyone with any. It's pretty discouraging, save for your second point: "if you can't rise about the screaming and yelling"
Schreiner shows it can work. Was this just a 'one-off' or an indication of how the Centre will be re-established?

It worked only because it is one riding where the local electorate has a high level of familiarity with the candidate. Never say never, but new parties generally don't arise on their own except in peculiar circumstances (and I am not sure if the Greens is representative of the highly volatile political forces that tend to drive these - for the lack of a better word - "movements")

AoD

^ I was extrapolating, doubtless, but I can't see the Libs running the same flag up the pole and people saluting it. Something has to change, and four years goes fast in terms of elections.

Interesting piece here:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...ection-of-doug-ford-do-campaigns-even-matter/

Aside from the article, which I thought was very analytical and objective...the Globe's comments are becoming like they were with their old comment format, and what the Stun and Pest have been now for years: A bastion of radical right reactionaries who can't spell, form a complete sentence, and oh yes, make a point that contributes to the article's gist.

And none of them are genuine Conservatives, they're just cranks with rants.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the provincial election thread, but my gut is that a Liberal MP in Ottawa pulls a "Patrick Brown" and runs for the Ontario Liberal Party. I wouldn't be surprised if the gender parity in Trudeau's cabinet has ticked off some high profile Ontario Liberal MPs who in a different climate would be shoe-ins for cabinet positions. I'm thinking Mark Holland, Bob Nault, or heck, David McGuinty. They might want a change of scenery.

I mentioned this in the provincial election thread, but my gut is that a Liberal MP in Ottawa pulls a "Patrick Brown" and runs for the Ontario Liberal Party. I wouldn't be surprised if the gender parity in Trudeau's cabinet has ticked off some high profile Ontario Liberal MPs who in a different climate would be shoe-ins for cabinet positions. I'm thinking Mark Holland, Bob Nault, or heck, David McGuinty. They might want a change of scenery.

Seems plausible, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that if that is their reasoning for their interest then the whole thing is off to a bad start.

I said in then, and I'll say it again Sandra Pupatello is a good option.

Del Duca is delusional on all fronts, Hoskins is too power hungry, Naqvi would not be seen as a serious competitor to Ford, Sousa's name is essentially tied in with Wynne, and Hunter doesn't have nearly enough recognition in the province. Those names I brought up were all one-time high hopefuls for the leadership if Wynne resigned prior to the election.

Let's hope the Liberals dont mess up badly again, much like their previous leadership contest.

I said in then, and I'll say it again Sandra Pupatello is a good option.

Del Duca is delusional on all fronts, Hoskins is too power hungry, Naqvi would not be seen as a serious competitor to Ford, Sousa's name is essentially tied in with Wynne, and Hunter doesn't have nearly enough recognition in the province. Those names I brought up were all one-time high hopefuls for the leadership if Wynne resigned prior to the election.

Let's hope the Liberals dont mess up badly again, much like their previous leadership contest.

Pupatello was the runners up during the last leadership race I believe - but getting someone who had sat on Hydro One board just sounds like a bad idea now. Beyond the matter who - I think it is more important for the Liberals to figure out just *what* they stood for first.

AoD

Last edited:
Pupatello was the runners up during the last leadership race I believe - but getting someone who had sat on Hydro One board just sounds like a bad idea now. Beyond the matter who - I think it is more important for the Liberals to figure out just *what* they stood for first.

AoD
I dont think them figuring themselves out is necessarily prerequisite for them winning an election, just look at the PCs. They are more divided then ever: their member's wanted to be more "socially conservative" and banded together to oust Brown (which is understandable), but yet somehow elected Ford as their leader even though Elliott fit the bill for the exact thing they were looking for. Make no mistake about it though, they just need to choose a solid candidate who doesnt have to the McGuinty/Wynne baggage of the past.

Unfortunately the Hydro One baggage doesnt really help Pupatello much, but with that said she's a much stronger candidate than 3/4's of the names put out there already.

I dont think them figuring themselves out is necessarily prerequisite for them winning an election, just look at the PCs. They are more divided then ever: their member's wanted to be more "socially conservative" and banded together to oust Brown (which is understandable), but yet somehow elected Ford as their leader even though Elliott fit the bill for the exact thing they were looking for. Make no mistake about it though, they just need to choose a solid candidate who doesnt have to the McGuinty/Wynne baggage of the past.

Unfortunately the Hydro One baggage doesnt really help Pupatello much, but with that said she's a much stronger candidate than 3/4's of the names put out there already.

There are two aspects - on actual policies (which they are remarkably vacuous beyond some careful promises to key consituencies) and on perceived philosphy/brand (which they aren't). The Liberals at this point is remarkably absent on the latter - just what is the DNA of the party? It has vacillated over the past decade and a half and became rather opportunistic. When the answer to "what do you stand for" is "whatever that will get me elected", people are rightly cynical.

AoD

^With this past government I agree there was every reason to be cynical with them, since every announcement Wynne would make seemed to be opportunistic to the point where people were asking: "well why didn't you do that while you have been the Premier". Her government had a majority so it's not like she could skate around the question with: "well we were blocked by the opposition".

In terms of their policies, I think that vacuousness came from their majority power at various points in time getting into their heads. It got to the point of them just implementing whatever policies they thought were a good idea, without them thinking about the constituents they were serving. On the point of their philosophy I think that problem will be solved with the thorough house cleaning they were just given, especially with most of the old guard leaving the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back