News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 553     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

Dan is wrong. The Liberals are far from radical left.

OTOH McTeague was definitely of the Grits' "Bloc Scarberia" right-of-centre caucus, along with Jimmy K. Cannis, Wappel, McKay--while McKay's been grandfathered in as an incumbent, virtually none of them would pass muster afresh as Justin Liberal candidates (which may be why Cannis is running as an indy).

I have a feeling you dont extend the same 'subjective' excuse to when Conservatives are in power...

Feelings aren't facts. I'd suggest you stick to things you can verify.
I'm not buying you're faux progressive outrage about Trudeau, you've railed against him since day one on these forums, and many other progressive politician.

It's a coup!!

In an email to supporters on Wednesday, the Conservative Party warned of a plot to subvert democracy in Canada. The Liberals, a Conservative official wrote, were "already planning a way to take power without winning the election."

Around the same time, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer was telling an interviewer that his party "would expect that other parties would respect the fact that whichever party wins the most seats gets to form the government."

But that is not a fact. The party with the most seats doesn't always get to govern.

If Scheer's "fact" was a fact, John Horgan currently wouldn't be the premier of British Columbia.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-trudeau-minority-government-2019-election-1.5324496

Feelings aren't facts. I'd suggest you stick to things you can verify.
I'm not buying you're faux progressive outrage about Trudeau, you've railed against him since day one on these forums, and many other progressive politician.

Hilarious to see you quote a flawed Ben Shapiro quote while being a progressive...

Lol

Last edited:
Anyone know what's going on in Ontario...

Reading twitter either it's a battle or Trudeau is going to get more seats in Ontario then last time...

It's a coup!!

In an email to supporters on Wednesday, the Conservative Party warned of a plot to subvert democracy in Canada. The Liberals, a Conservative official wrote, were "already planning a way to take power without winning the election."

Around the same time, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer was telling an interviewer that his party "would expect that other parties would respect the fact that whichever party wins the most seats gets to form the government."

But that is not a fact. The party with the most seats doesn't always get to govern.

If Scheer's "fact" was a fact, John Horgan currently wouldn't be the premier of British Columbia.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-trudeau-minority-government-2019-election-1.5324496
Think the point is to just rally conservatives for round 2 in 18 months or so...

OTOH McTeague was definitely of the Grits' "Bloc Scarberia" right-of-centre caucus, along with Jimmy K. Cannis, Wappel, McKay--while McKay's been grandfathered in as an incumbent, virtually none of them would pass muster afresh as Justin Liberal candidates (which may be why Cannis is running as an indy).

It spilled over to the Danforth, too. Toronto-Danforth MP Dennis Mills represented pinko Riverdale and Leslieville, despite being an ardent pro-life Catholic, until he lost to Layton in 2004.

Last edited:
How patently absurd!
Is it?

Last election it was commonly accepted that Mulcair campaigned to the centre and Trudeau to the left. In general, throughout the Western world I believe we're witnessing a trend where the Left has arguably abandoned many lower-case L liberal values it once espoused, while at the same time various Conservative pundits and politicians escaping the populism on the right have taken up the cause of free speech and civil liberties and found a new base of support in the political center.

Personally, I don't feel that my lower-case liberal values are best represented by the Liberal party anymore (as ironic as that reads). At the same time however, the above societal trends haven't yet coalesced at the party level here in Canada, so the Conservative Party remains as foreign and out-of-touch as it always has (@kEiThZ articulated whats wrong with the current Conservatives in the Trudeau thread). That leaves me, and I am willing to bet many other centrists, at a loss over who to vote for this election.

I'm sure whichever political faction is able to create a coalition between small-c conservatives, red tories, and liberal centrist voters, will win a future election.

Last edited:
Whatever our personal opinions are here on the issues I believe the truth is individuals don’t really have the capacity to make really good decisions on behalf of the greater good nor to understand what the greater good is. That is why a plurality of opinion and competing interests matters.

The current state of Canada’s economy and fiscal position was brought up based on current indicators. Trouble is these indicators are backward looking while our election choice is forward looking. With none of the parties looking responsibly at how Canada will react to economic and fiscal stress moving forward the question is really not what they are promising but how they will react?

That said I recognize that my fiscal conservatism while it serves me well personally is not a recipe to govern a society and it’s varied interests effectively continuously. Society though is better off for having strong voices for fiscal proactivity even during times of largesse (like now).

That is why progressives hoping for Trudeau to get a majority while getting a third of the vote are total hypocrites ^

The election proves we need electoral reform.

This is not the first election to give us a majority government with a popular vote of under 40%. Election reform has been discussed for many (too many) years and is long overdue.

This is not the first election to give us a majority government with a popular vote of under 40%. Election reform has been discussed for many (too many) years and is long overdue.
There is a difference with 37% and 30 to 32 percent...

37 to 40 percent is a historical norm

Below that is just fptp at it's worse.

I think getting 39% popular vote while holding 55% of the seats was a good enough reason for electoral reform. But at 30-32%, which polls are currently showing both the Conservatives and Liberals at, is most likely to end up with a minority government.

I'm assuming that McTeague assumed that the Chretien Liberals were centrist - and thus logic concludes that Harper and Scheer were also centrist. By this definition of centre, Trudeau is indeed quite far left.
It seems everyone assumes that they themselves are centre - so they don't see anyone as being extreme on their side of the political spectrum.

Not really. Harper and Scheer have views that many would paint as 'far right'. In practice I agree they were essentially centre (at least in the case of Harper) - Trudeau has, overall, been pretty firmly in the centre.

Back