News   Apr 23, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 615     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 419     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

I would say on the issue of identity politics Trudeau speaks far to the left even though his actions and government are more Centrist and his personal behaviour is left to be desired.

As a result progressives don't think he is actually left enough and a lot of other people think he is a hypocrite.

I would say on the issue of identity politics Trudeau speaks far to the left even though his actions and government are more Centrist and his personal behaviour is left to be desired.

As a result progressives don't think he is actually left enough and a lot of other people think he is a hypocrite.

Personally I think Canada would be better off with the Communist Party of Canada at the helm.

Dan is wrong. The Liberals are far from radical left.
I'm assuming that McTeague assumed that the Chretien Liberals were centrist - and thus logic concludes that Harper and Scheer were also centrist. By this definition of centre, Trudeau is indeed quite far left.
It seems everyone assumes that they themselves are centre - so they don't see anyone as being extreme on their side of the political spectrum.

Trudeau is mushy middle. I don't see myself as centre, I see myself as left. Trudeau is not left. He can't take a real stand on progressive issues like universal pharmacare or dental care. He mouths platitudes about climate change but approves a pipeline. He sets climate change targets for 2050, which is ridiculous when we need real action now.

Personally I think the carbon tax is another Trudeau sham as many large emitters are exempt...

Like reducing emissions like 3 to 5 percent in a decade to me is meaninglessness...especially I dont see how that translate to my local environment...

I rather see more direct action like reducing sprawl and more investment in electrical cars and transit.

In my opinion direct action is best as if you seen that closing down the coal plants had the best impact on reducing emissions in here in Ontario.

Personally I think the carbon tax is another Trudeau sham as many large emitters are exempt...

Like reducing emissions like 3 to 5 percent in a decade to me is meaninglessness...especially I dont see how that translate to my local environment...

I rather see more direct action like reducing sprawl and more investment in electrical cars and transit.

In my opinion direct action is best as if you seen that closing down the coal plants had the best impact on reducing emissions in here in Ontario.

I can like this one; but have to say; if the problem w/the carbon tax is those who are exempt; perhaps removing the exemptions is the solution.

I can get behind this. Trudeau's language/rhetoric is very in tune w/Canadian progressives.

But, its mostly platitudes and non-commitments. Where specific pledges are made, they tend to fall short of the objectives of most of the Centre-Left and Left; even at the oratory stage, and they may well be watered down further when delivered.

That is entirely fair criticism of Trudeau. As is that which otherwise identifies where his actions and his words don't line-up.

But that shouldn't be confused with his Liberals being a less appealing option than Scheer's Conservatives, which they are not.

There in lies the rub. Sure there are other choices (NDP and Green) but for many those may not be a viable option, either because said parties aren't electorally viable in their riding; or because the platforms may be more extreme than some a prepared to endorse. Which brings us back to where many are neither forgiving nor forgetting Trudeau's foibles; but rather holding their nose and picking the lesser evil.

I can get behind this. Trudeau's language/rhetoric is very in tune w/Canadian progressives.

But, its mostly platitudes and non-commitments. Where specific pledges are made, they tend to fall short of the objectives of most of the Centre-Left and Left; even at the oratory stage, and they may well be watered down further when delivered.

That is entirely fair criticism of Trudeau. As is that which otherwise identifies where his actions and his words don't line-up.

But that shouldn't be confused with his Liberals being a less appealing option than Scheer's Conservatives, which they are not.

There in lies the rub. Sure there are other choices (NDP and Green) but for many those may not be a viable option, either because said parties aren't electorally viable in their riding; or because the platforms may be more extreme than some a prepared to endorse. Which brings us back to where many are neither forgiving nor forgetting Trudeau's foibles; but rather holding their nose and picking the lesser evil.

Maybe Trudeau did not do electoral reform knowing that he would lose a ton of support to actual progressives...

The liberals this week have been pretty been asking people to vote for them strategically and damn your principles

I would his progressive delusions around taking back ISIS fighters is one.

Breaking the promise of electoral reform really hurt democratic progress in this country.

Promising to only spend 10 billion a year to putting in structural deficits for the long term will hurt this country financially when we ate hit by another recession.

His double speak of building pipelines and then pushing a carbon tax that will exempt many polluters shows he is more concerned about broadcasting action on climate change then doing anything about it like greens or ndp.

Again, this is subjective personal grievances. Not things that have acted against the country.

Issue is people like the liberal poliices but hate trudeau..

Why else is he doing so badly in this election then if he has done a good job..

Being a complete hypocrite on issues of feminism by engaging in sexual inappropriate behaviour himself.

Engaging in unethical behaviour to benefit himself in Quebec while saying he will do politics differently.

Wearing blackface in the past many times while saying he has always been a progressive in the past.

The flaw you guys dont see and cant accept is most people like the liberal policies but find our prime minister a liar and a hypocrite and dont want to vote for him..

Can we please stop with the 'you guys' in your posts?

You have some legitimate points, some, are supported by some of us; others are not.

Much as you need to dial back hyperbole in your posts (and to your credit, you've been much better w/that recently), you also need to respond specifically to the poster with whom you are having an exchange and not generalize.

Likewise, you need to read those posts to which are you responding carefully. Sometimes they don't say what you think (based on your replies).

People may actually be agreeing with you in part; but asking you to walk back some more extreme language. Instead of replying as if they dismissed your argument entirely; perhaps you could note that they didn't and took issue with one point or one sentence.

Again, this is subjective personal grievances. Not things that have acted against the country.

?

I have a feeling you dont extend the same 'subjective' excuse to when Conservatives are in power... because i am sure they can say your grievances are 'personal and petty''

I personally think politicians who break big promises and act like hypocrites regardless of party act against the health of a nation...As they feed contempt and cynicism as a whole...and in the end doom a party anyways so unsure why they do it...

I believe you may think that is just acceptable in the world of poltics though...
However, when a person says he will do things differently, I believe that...and when they dont I think a person should be punished for that not be defended with excuses that they would not extend to others.

Last edited:
Trudeau is mushy middle. I don't see myself as centre, I see myself as left. Trudeau is not left. He can't take a real stand on progressive issues like universal pharmacare or dental care. He mouths platitudes about climate change but approves a pipeline. He sets climate change targets for 2050, which is ridiculous when we need real action now.

Oh Lord please we are not going down the "governments should do something about climate change" road. It isn't up to governments to change people's behaviour, remember the 5cents on plastic bags? How well did that reduce plastic waste? If people don't want plastic clogging up the oceans then people should stop buying single use plastics. Citizens have to make the changes not governments. The pipelines are crucial to the West just like the fisheries were crucial to the Maritimes in the 1970's. Look what happened the fisheries collapsed and the people were fine, it was/is mother nature that takes the hit. The talk about about carbon taxes is meaningless if Canadians still want cheap petrol. Anyone see a shift from car use lately?

Be honest this seems a favour called in by Trudeau trying to regain momentum.
My suspicion is that Trudeau asked Obama for the endorsement, followed by Trudeau saying to the media that “no one tells Obama what to do” all in an effort to goad Trump to endorse Scheer. Scheer‘s team is likely terrified of Trump tweeting over the weekend that “if Canadians had any sense they’d listen bigly to me and vote for conservatives and the tremendous Andy Schmear [sic].”

I‘m doing my part to help, snark.

My suspicion is that Trudeau asked Obama for the endorsement, followed by Trudeau saying to the media that “no one tells Obama what to do” all in an effort to goad Trump to endorse Scheer. Scheer‘s team is likely terrified of Trump tweeting over the weekend that “if Canadians had any sense they’d listen bigly to me and vote for conservatives and the tremendous Andy Schmear [sic].”

I‘m doing my part to help, snark.

It was the least Obama could do to pay back the Liberals for the $400k speaking fee he received.
https://canada2020.ca/a-conversation-with-president-barack-obama-hosted-by-canada-2020/
Of course, Canada2020 is a Liberal group, that gets federal (i.e. from the Liberal gov't) funding.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fed...ank-with-ties-to-trudeau-government-1.3265611
So really, the Liberals were not out of pocket in obtaining the Obama endorsement.

Back