News   Apr 24, 2024
 95     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 454     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

I saw one US site run a story about how Kenney winning was a bad omen for Trudeau. That is a bad take, as that result was pretty much guaranteed and Alberta almost always elects conservative governments.

I saw one US site run a story about how Kenney winning was a bad omen for Trudeau. That is a bad take, as that result was pretty much guaranteed and Alberta almost always elects conservative governments.

If looking at Alberta in isolation, perhaps. But Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick ALL also swung right-wing in recent provincial elections. If more than half of the Provinces in confederation all drifting away from Trudeau's agenda and electing people whom voice loudly their disdain for the man, one can only conclude that yes Trudeau is indeed in deep do-do with the average electorate.

New Brunswick is a minority government only surviving because that new party is doing an informal coalition deal with the PC's. Saskatchewan has been run by the party of the same name for a while thank to NDP incompetence and Manitoba also got tired of the NDP. Ontario was bound to go PC after the Liberals became super unpopular under Wynne and if someone else was Premier, I would be fine with it. Quebec is just bigoted, whether the CAQ, Liberals or PQ are in charge. That controversial bill Legault is pushing was also attempted by the last three Premiers.

Also, I was having a discussion with my US born co-worker and we were discussing electoral systems. He is Jewish and spent time in Israel, which just had an election using a form of proportional representation. His view is that our first past the post system is vastly superior because we know who the candidate in our area is. Supposedly, when Bibi forms a coalition, he ends up bending to the will of fringe right wing parties that are needed to form a majority. So yeah, he thinks that we shouldn't switch systems.

Last edited:
If looking at Alberta in isolation, perhaps. But Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick ALL also swung right-wing in recent provincial elections. If more than half of the Provinces in confederation all drifting away from Trudeau's agenda and electing people whom voice loudly their disdain for the man, one can only conclude that yes Trudeau is indeed in deep do-do with the average electorate.
It's more like 80%
D4Yl52VW0AEqogZ.jpg

They did better than the sole Liberal member. I liked Notley, she stood up to BC and the Feds. If Scheer wins we can expect Alberta to get its pipelines PDQ.
It was just pointed to me, that Faith Goldy did over 3X better in Toronto than the Liberals did in Alberta (3.4% vs. 1.0%).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Toronto_mayoral_election

Saskatchewan should be green on that map. The officials colors of the party are green and yellow.

It was just pointed to me, that Faith Goldy did over 3X better in Toronto than the Liberals did in Alberta (3.4% vs. 1.0%).

The Liberals just don't have a presence in some provinces, where the default centre-left party is the NDP. Look at Manitoba, which always switches between the NDP and PC's.

Also, in some off topic news, Faith didn't file her paperwork and is at risk of being banned from the 2022 election.

It's more like 80%
D4Yl52VW0AEqogZ.jpg

Yes, exactly. The heart of the country is going conservative in general. Even NWT is conservative now I believe. Only the coastal areas, Toronto and Montreal aside, seem to still swing Left. How Trudeau can overcome these odds, time will tell.

NWT and Nunavut have non-partisan consensus governments. Political parties don't exist except for federal elections. Nunavut did toss the Premier, but it wasn't on a partisan basis. Sorry for posting so much. I just needed to make that clear.

I kind of like the Greens in PEI.
Both the Greens and PC did well in PEI yesterday.

That leaves just NS and Nfld in Liberal hands. I still wonder if JWR was a Rasputin-like sleeper for the Cons.

Update on NDP races:

Andrew Cash was acclaimed in the fall to run in Davenport.

In Danforth, documentary filmmaker Min Sook Lee looks like she's got it as her main opponent dropped out. Nomination meeting is May 30.

Parkdale-High Park is the most contested race in the city for the NDP. Saron Gebresellassi faces the executive director of FoodShare Toronto, Paul Taylor. They're going to have to call a date soon.

In York South-Weston, it looks like Yafet Tewelde will be acclaimed on Saturday. I don't know much about him except that he played a big role in Chiara Padovani's municipal campaign.

Just my opinion, but if Trudeau retains his job, he should pick the right people and ignore gender equality.

Trudeau actually had somewhat of a decent cabinet. Rhoades scholar. Astronaut. Veterans. There's experience in that room.

What there isn't is central leadership from the PM.
If you step back and look at it, the problem is very much with the boss. Every progressive cause became a priority. And when everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.

I think Trudeau genuinely believed that some income redistribution would cover any political dissatisfaction. But that's not how things work. Voters will cash the carbon rebate cheques and then slam him at the polls for high gas taxes. They'll cash the child tax benefit and then bemoan the lack of childcare, etc. Voters expect tangible change. Not just cheques in the mail.

Did every angry straight white millennial male vote for her?

I'm surprised she even has that much name recognition.

Had Doug Ford opted to run against John Tory, her vote would probably have shrunk to the 1.0% range, too (or she wouldn't have even opted to run)

Back