News   Mar 28, 2024
 311     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 338     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 696     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

In theory, but let's be honest, the odd Rathgeber does not prove this theory in practice.
The vast majority of members are loyal to party over constituency.

For those who don't know, Rathgeber was a Conservative MP who was forced out of caucus after voting against his own government. Ended up being freed to represent his constituents as an independent. He ended up voting along the same line as Elizabeth May on most subsequent votes after that, which was interesting.
I watch a lot of CPAC. Need a better hobby. ;)

Actually, an even better example...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Cadman

Ontario had a referendum and chose FPTP. Has BC as well? We'll see how honest the current referendum is in BC. It looks like it will be skewed to give the answer of abandoning FPTP.
Ontario had a referendum and said No to that mess they came up with. A No vote wasn't necessarily a vote for FPTP. It was a 'go and try again to find something better'.

I think there was some strategic voting by the end to stop the NDP from getting power here in the burbs I think.

I think there was some strategic voting by the end to stop the NDP from getting power here in the burbs I think.
A lot of the deeper analysis I've been reading points to the Liberals switching their attacks to the NDP in the last few weeks as a major turning point. Before that it was looking like the NDP had the momentum to win it all .

Any modicum of respect I had left for Wynne disappeared when she did her concession speech but urged people to still vote Liberal.
Ironically it cost her party a whole bunch more seats, while she somehow kept hers and will stay on as MPP. Pretty disgusting how she dug the party to a new low and will still be around.

The Liberals are always entitled to their entitlements, including official party status when they don't get enough votes.

Well, the NDP was in the same boat a decade ago and they finally got it after 2 months or so, so it isn't a matter of precedent. The point being those are the rules, and they weren't reopened during their 15 years in government, and I think it is beneath the party to swoop so low as to beg for it given it is something that they could have made a stand on when they're in power as a matter of principle. It is just look so unsightly now and doesn't reflect well on them. If I am the party leader I would have said no, grin and bear it - but I guess that's why I am not in politics.

AoD

There is a rented space across the street from us that is for someone named Ali Manek, who was apparently a Liberal candidate for our riding. Only he wasn't on the ballot, someone else was.

There is a rented space across the street from us that is for someone named Ali Manek, who was apparently a Liberal candidate for our riding. Only he wasn't on the ballot, someone else was.
A fourth candidate Ali Manek, a former Markham teacher and founder of international aid agency Our Village, dropped out of the race on Feb. 26 throwing his support behind Ms. Ng.
https://www.hilltimes.com/2017/03/0...andidate-april-3-byelection-party-unity/98526

Shafiq beat Parthi Kandavel, a public school trustee, and Ali Manek, who owns a Scarborough-based online floor business, in a Jan. 22 meeting at Winston Churchill Collegiate Institute.
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...beral-nomination-battle-won-by-mazhar-shafiq/

Back