News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 254     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tory got re-elected and probably won't pursue a third term.
I am sure he will sleep fine.

I don't think he was so definitive after this last election. In any case, he could easily have argued his support has nothing to do with the behaviour of the councillor part of parcel of this case, etc.

AoD

Let's be honest, if convicted, we all know Grimes wont be removed from office as our system usually likes to go for the nice slapping of the wrist.

What I do hope is that the man is barred from running from future municipal elections, what he did was improper and makes me wonder if he didnt disclose expenses properly for other municipal elections as well. At this rate, barring him from running for future elections is probably the only way this man will ever get out of office since many constituents have some kind of fad with electing him.

As for DiCiano, I think this is just the beginning for him. He seems a lot more suspect.

What I do hope is that the man is barred from running from future municipal elections, what he did was improper and makes me wonder if he didnt disclose expenses properly for other municipal elections as well. At this rate, barring him from running for future elections is probably the only way this man will ever get out of office since many constituents have some kind of fad with electing him.

Though Grimes has already been in office for 15 years, so it's not like he wouldn't opt to retire instead. And re "some kind of fad", well...he's an incumbent. And you know how hard it is to dislodge incumbents unless there's some really pressing motivation to do so out there.

In fact, under the circumstance I'd say Amber Morley did a good job in electorally pressing him out of left field. (Hey, it was narrower than Colle vs CCG)

Though Grimes has already been in office for 15 years, so it's not like he wouldn't opt to retire instead. And re "some kind of fad", well...he's an incumbent. And you know how hard it is to dislodge incumbents unless there's some really pressing motivation to do so out there.

In fact, under the circumstance I'd say Amber Morley did a good job in electorally pressing him out of left field. (Hey, it was narrower than Colle vs CCG)
Amber Morely is a weird case. Off the bat she seems like she should have been an also ran but got endorsed by progress Toronto and The Toronto and York Region labour council. She got an ok percentage of votes but in my opinion Pamela Gough should have been a better candidate to rally around, though once Tory got involved I think the race was over.

Also I find the Justin Di Ciano voted the correct way on many issues, he was a really shady guy. I never bought the family excuse for not running in the election. Also Grimes is as well to be honest, but grimes used to be more respected in the past. He was endorsed by the Toronto star in 2010.

Well, it's Friday (though not St. Paddy's Day), so maybe they could raise a toast and get slurry at The Old Sod to drown their legal woes.
https://www.dailyxtra.com/city-councillor-gets-belligerent-on-st-paddys-day-7896

And there’s James Maloney, before he became Liberal MP in Etobicoke Lakeshore. The three of them (Grimey, Di Dunpar and Maloney) are thick as thieves. Maloney even tried to get Metrolinx to back off their OMB appeal of the Judson Street development the two councillors were backing.

Amber Morely is a weird case. Off the bat she seems like she should have been an also ran but got endorsed by progress Toronto and The Toronto and York Region labour council. She got an ok percentage of votes but in my opinion Pamela Gough should have been a better candidate to rally around, though once Tory got involved I think the race was over.

Also I find the Justin Di Ciano voted the correct way on many issues, he was a really shady guy. I never bought the family excuse for not running in the election. Also Grimes is as well to be honest, but grimes used to be more respected in the past. He was endorsed by the Toronto star in 2010.

Even at his best, Grimes was "meh", getting by mostly on a hockey-dad aw-shucks persona. And a Star endorsement would probably hinge upon relative inoffensiveness + unspectacular opposition.

Gough was the likely frontrunner to replace Di Ciano under the old ward model, but never really gained traction beyond her Kingsway/Sunnylea fiefdom (anecdotally, it didn't help that the lettering on her signs was too small). Morley did exceptionally well in Mimico/New Toronto, echoing to some degree the provincial success of Phil Trotter--perhaps, after a quarter-century post-industrial sinking slumber, there's promise once again for NDP-style progressivism in S Etobicoke (albeit now more like a Parkdale-High Park dynamic jumping the Humber)

Come to think of it, Gough vs Morley municipally played out a little like Milczyn vs Trotter provincially.

Is the only politician with any credibility or integrity in Etobicoke, Peter Milczyn?

John Campbell is much more conservative than I like, but he has integrity. It's not saying a lot, but it's the best Etobicoke had once Milczyn left council. You could tell he at least had some nuance and was at times thoughtful. It's a shame Holyday defeated him.

Back