News   Apr 24, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 718     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But not a *Ford* Conservative council.

Here's how I see it (approximately)

1:right
2:right
3:right
4:left
5: right
6: right
7:left
8:centre
9:centre
10:left
11:left
12:centre-left
13:left
14:left
15:centre-right
16:right
17:centre-left
18:centre-left
19:centre
20:right
21:right
22:right
23:right
24:centre-right
25:centre

I would quibble with your calls for wards 6 & 15, I see those councilors as more center (or rather, more Chaotic Neutral :) ).

However, I would strongly disagree with Paul Ainsle being characterized as Center-Right, he is more Center-Left if anything.

Often, what residents believe is wrong. It takes true leadership to not just follow the whims of uneducated or selfish masses.
Too true.

1. Who has the charisma to bring America back from the brink after 4 years of Trump? ‘Nuther thread. Very relevant question beacause someone will need to bring America back down to earth. While on the subject of selfish or vacant masses.

2. It is a bit broad to paste the Holyday win as simply as cars. I grew up there. His name goes back more years than I care to remember and Dennis Flynn and Morley Kells and Doug Holyday were all there when I was a kid. It’s intergenerational politics as bad as the Bush family.

3. As a private citizen, we can make judgements about what is right. And what is wrong. I doubt any successful politicians decide what their constituents believe is wrong. Strongly disagreeing with someone doesn’t make them wrong.

Last edited:
Rob Ford *was* a surprisingly good councilor (albeit with political views I found abhorrent). That skill set did not translate to being a good mayor.

How so?

Residents in Etobicoke seem to have the same complaints they've always had.

Decades of Conservative councilors hasn't seemed to result in any sort of meaningful progress.

I would quibble with your calls for wards 6 & 15, I see those councilors as more center (or rather, more Chaotic Neutral :) ).

However, I would strongly disagree with Paul Ainsle being characterized as Center-Right, he is more Center-Left if anything.

You can't get any more right wing than James Pasternak.

Campbell was at least somewhat capable of compromise and being influenced by fact. I can't say the same for Holyday, who is just a reactionary idiot. I've mentioned before on this forum that I attended school with him, and he was an insufferable ass even back then.
Hope you don’t look too much like Count Frightenstein.:)

Metro man ....don't know where your polling came from ...

Lol, the “undecideds” have spoken and it wasn’t even close.

46555415-1FB0-4210-96BE-811BE1DBE895.jpeg

Attachments

• 46555415-1FB0-4210-96BE-811BE1DBE895.jpeg
    46555415-1FB0-4210-96BE-811BE1DBE895.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 549
Kevin Vuong appeared to be trying WAYYYY too hard with all the antics and didn't garner a lot of sympathy doing so. Not a bright look for future.

Last edited:
The quality of the people elected to council may be more important than who leans left or right.

I am relieved that a blow-hard and McGuinty loyalist like Geo. Smitherman is not in this slimmer council. May his days in politics be behind us all.

So apparently, the denizens of Etobicoke Lakeshore and Parkdale-High Park are smoking the same strains of crack. Or is it the water?

I wish I could tell you but having just recently moved from Mimico to Parkdale and clearly being miffed with both Grimey and Perks, I'm clearly smoking my own rocks.

Hey, at least Mammo is finally gone! Thank the universe!

I will take the dispatching of Mammo in trade for the continuation of Grimes and Perks.

Any thoughts on Council's demographic composition?

I think I'm counting 36% female, 64% male.

And 16% visible minority (err, hmmm, less than plurality?) LOL

I despise quotas and don't associate council's competence based on its make-up.

Still I think ideally a council should look vaguely like those it represents.

Seems there is still a hill to climb in that regard.

For my area thought Troisi would be a close second, just from going by incumbency and # of signs. But it's good Wong Tam is representing. Personally hope she finds more of a voice for council chambers. If she has something important to say, yell it out loud. Important issues today and ahead, gotta represent.

On the whole was hoping Nunziata would be out. I don't like hearing her, very grating. Also kinda wanted that kid in the NW corner out. He doesn't do or say anything and that weird 'dynasty' needs to go, but it was a close race so that's something.

Back