News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was one "overlapping" seat in the previous distribution (Pickering-Scarborough East). Now all Toronto ridings are contained within Toronto.
I can't access the 25 ward info from City Clerk website as she is now onto 47 again (for a day or so) but this certainly referred to some constituencies having small areas outside TO.

essentially the difference is that the 25 ward model is based off of 2011 census data, while the 47 ward model is based off of 2016 data. They were both relatively fair with minor differences in their time, but the 25 ward model is 5 years "older", meaning that high growth areas have had an additional 5 years to become disproportionately overpopulated.

Remember that the existing ward boundaries were equally fair when implemented in 1998 - over 20 years population changes made them very disproportionate, to downtown's disadvantage. By selecting the 25 ward model, you get a 5 year head start on that disproportionate mis-representation.

They were implemented in 2000 by provincial fiat - the city was able to determine how each of the (then) 22 ridings were to be split in half, but they were forced to cut the number of councillors from 57 to 44. Even those boundaries were problematic - the 22 ridings were based on the federal ridings that came into effect in 1997, and those were based on the 1991 Census. The federal government (and the province, which follows the federal boundaries except in the north) upgraded twice based on counts from the 2001 and 2011 census.

With the forced 25 wards, we're upgrading from 1991 to 2011 population counts, but the 47 wards were prospective - based on population projections for 2026 and to be in effect until 2034.

Shameful. The irony is that she's actually intelligent enough to know better. The crueler irony is that despite that intelligence she clearly hasn't developed the courage of character to assert it when it's needed.

Pathetic.
she got smoked in the last election. Maybe shes right to fall in line.. She doesn't look to have any future based on her own merit.

Generally it's expected in Westminster systems that Cabinet members won't publicly disagree with each other. I think it'd be unreasonable to expect any members of Ford's cabinet to come out and publicly disagree with him.

Generally it's expected in Westminster systems that Cabinet members won't publicly disagree with each other. I think it'd be unreasonable to expect any members of Ford's cabinet to come out and publicly disagree with him.
Indeed, I would have expected her to resign. She would have saved her reputation, which is now garbage.

Plus, IMO, the Judge's verdict logic doesn't really hold. It almost sounds like talking points with personal bias, so overuling a type of judge like this is fine by me.
Fortunately for you, your right to be ignorant and idiotic is protected by our constitution. :D

Reactions: DSC
I can't access the 25 ward info from City Clerk website as she is now onto 47 again (for a day or so) but this certainly referred to some constituencies having small areas outside TO.
This is the current Toronto riding map.

19Toronto.jpg

Everything's within Toronto.

This is the previous one (not the one that's the basis of the present ward boundaries, but the one after that)

35915.gif

Note Pick-SE on the right.

Folks, you do realize that we’re still going to 25 councillors, if not for 2018, in 2022?
And?

I am fine if it occurs in 2022 as per the judge's ruling. The province can do what it wants if it follows the proper procedures, and there is nothing we can do about it.

But this is now a fight for municipal rights, precedent setting in Canadian democracy, and as of today, upholding peace, order and good government.

Back