News   Apr 19, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 582     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 977     3 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very true. However, the premier using the notwithstanding clause simply to get his way isn't the sort of thing that's supposed to happen either.

Section 33 is the Achilles heel of the Constitution. Its very existence invites its use. I am utterly disgusted by this government. And especially by the Attorney General, who I thought had more intelligence than to allow this on her watch. If she has any self-respect, she will resign.

Here's to hoping the LG refuses to sign off on Bill 5 or threatens to call a new election.

Doug Ford thinks there will be an election in FOUR years.. if the LG felt the need she could on her own authority dismiss parliament and call an election. She is sworn to uphold the rule of law, the constitution etc. If she really wanted to she could threaten to oust ford or call an election if he does not back down.

Ford really needs to read a book on how government works because he fails to realise the LG can turf him or the bill and there is nothing he can do.

An LG dismissing a majority parliament would literally be unprecedented in Canadian history. It just could not happen - the LG is bound to follow the Premier's advice until such time as they lose a confidence vote. Even Reservation & Disallowance is a dead-letter power. Judicial is the appropriate check here, not Crown.

Section 33 is the Achilles heel of the Constitution. Its very existence invites its use. I am utterly disgusted by this government. And especially by the Attorney General, who I thought had more intelligence than to allow this on her watch. If she has any self-respect, she will resign.
I have written to ask her how she can allow this and suggest others do so too. caroline.mulroney@pc.ola.org

The powers of disallowance and reservation are similarly constitutional. It would not even require legislation to put an end to Doug Ford's attempt to establish himself as dictator.
R&D is dead letter, and even then it's not an effective check. The province can just keep passing the same legislation until the LG gives up blocking it.

Here's to hoping the LG refuses to sign off on Bill 5 or threatens to call a new election.

Doug Ford thinks there will be an election in FOUR years.. if the LG felt the need she could on her own authority dismiss parliament and call an election. She is sworn to uphold the rule of law, the constitution etc. If she really wanted to she could threaten to oust ford or call an election if he does not back down.

Ford really needs to read a book on how government works because he fails to realise the LG can turf him or the bill and there is nothing he can do.

Go ahead and call another election. Wont' change many people's vote. People voted for 'change' after 15 years of out of control spending that was wasted to their crony friends. Ontarians don't give a hoot about Toronto anyways and won't change their vote. The only thing this will do is increase turnout for areas where the NDP dominated. People in the inner burbs (like Rouge) are tired of the waste anyways so will increase PC votes.

Given the extenisve discussion of the LG's powers............I wanted to do a bit of research.

I have found an excellent paper on this subject.

https://www.cpsa-acsp.ca/papers-2009/Donovan.pdf

The use of Reservation and Disallowance used to be quite extensive.

Their last recorded uses in Canada are 1961 and 1945 respectively.

However, the powers do remain enshrined in law, and the paper discusses this at some length, a worthwhile read for political junkies.

I used to go to book signings at chapters. Bill Clinton had people looping around the bay street store. Brian Mulroney had perhaps a couple dozen people there and another half dozen people there booing him until security had to remove them. Brian Mulroney who once had the largest majority ended up having to leave the office over to Kim Campbell. Just because Ford has a majority today does not necessarily mean he will be popular in 4 years.

I used to go to book signings at chapters. Bill Clinton had people looping around the bay street store. Brian Mulroney had perhaps a couple dozen people there and another half dozen people there booing him until security had to remove them. Brian Mulroney who once had the largest majority ended up having to leave the office over to Kim Campbell. Just because Ford has a majority today does not necessarily mean he will be popular in 4 years.
or next week.

An LG dismissing a majority parliament would literally be unprecedented in Canadian history. It just could not happen - the LG is bound to follow the Premier's advice until such time as they lose a confidence vote. Even Reservation & Disallowance is a dead-letter power. Judicial is the appropriate check here, not Crown.
Generally, except in extreme circumstances.

I don't think there's an preclusion for an LG dismissing the government, and appointing a different member of the same party to form a government. Particularly in the case of high crimes or something, if the Premier didn't resign.

This isn't that though.

But ... if a hypothetical letter signed by 63 PC MPPs went to the LG supporting Christine Elliott forming a government ... now that would be interesting.

Either way - we are no where near there yet.

MAMMO just suggested that FORD use this as a way to cancel the Finch LRT and to build a Finch Subway instead. SMH

The Star: Ford says he’ll invoke the ‘notwithstanding clause.’ Here’s everything you need to know about the bombshell move:
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ou-need-to-know-about-the-bombshell-move.html

Great explainer on the Notwithstanding Clause, for non-experts in jurisprudence. This answer hurt:
If Ford invokes the notwithstanding clause, can the city appeal?

No. There’s nothing the city can do to repeal a law that invokes the notwithstanding clause, both Macfarlane and Mathen said.

MAMMO just suggested that FORD use this as a way to cancel the Finch LRT and to build a Finch Subway instead. SMH

I wouldn't be surprised if he does it.

Perhaps instead of building the DRL he'll use the NWSC to make people walk instead.

Back