News   Apr 16, 2024
 408     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 403     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 756     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Tiffany Ford has a very good shot at beating Mammoliti. I think her last name alone could do the trick. Last election, there is no doubt in my mind that the otherwise very skilled Ward 6 candidate Russ Ford got a 'bump' due to his last name, nearly taking down Mark Grimes.

I can imagine all the Ford Nation deplorables when she wins. But she’s black! And a woman!

Tiffany Ford sounds like a blond haired, blue eyed, Crest stripped smile, Doug Ford daughter.

I can imagine all the Ford Nation deplorables when she wins. But she’s black! And a woman!

What? A sizable contingent of the Ford Nation "deplorables" are black themselves and/or women.

Deplorables, by the way, is a term that could be used to describe all sorts of ideologues. Just saying.

Deplorables, by the way, is a term that could be used to describe all sorts of ideologues. Just saying.

Yes, it could. Which is why I said "Ford Nation deplorables".

What? A sizable contingent of the Ford Nation "deplorables" are black themselves and/or women.

Elections are full of people voting against their own interests: i.e. poor people voting for right win politicians who serve the rich and cut services to the poor. Ford Nation would not knowingly vote for a black woman. If you think that, you're not paying attention.

Reactions: DSC
Yes, it could. Which is why I said "Ford Nation deplorables".

Acknowledged.

Elections are full of people voting against their own interests: i.e. poor people voting for right win politicians who serve the rich and cut services to the poor. Ford Nation would not knowingly vote for a black woman. If you think that, you're not paying attention.

Unfortunately*, I have been paying attention and I reckon you're assigning a generalised characteristic to a group that is far from homogeneous.

*-- I say unfortunately because, as I'm sure most people here know, my general feeling about the political culture in this country is one of disgust.

Last edited:
Ford Nation would not knowingly vote for a black woman. If you think that, you're not paying attention.

I can imagine some DoFo mayoral voters voting for Tiffany Ford over Mammo this time. And not just on duped-by-the-surname grounds...

Only fair after the part Ford played in the Michael Harris/Mike Harris, Jr. chicanery.

Last edited:
One incumbent who is due for a strong challenger is Frances Nunziata. She ran virtually unopposed the last two cycles. This time, Chiara Padovani seems to be a strong opponent, and has a lot of community endorsements.

Any word on whether Mrs. Nunziata's numbskull brother will for council again? He lost by a nose to Di Giorgio in 2014.

One incumbent who is due for a strong challenger is Frances Nunziata. She ran virtually unopposed the last two cycles. This time, Chiara Padovani seems to be a strong opponent, and has a lot of community endorsements.

Neil Flagg would lose his shit were she to go. During the last election, she was the *only* councillor he felt was worthy enough to reelect.

Any word on whether Mrs. Nunziata's numbskull brother will for council again? He lost by a nose to Di Giorgio in 2014.

I hope not. While John Nunziata did lose to Di Giorgio by a nose in 2014, that was actually a fairly tight four person race. Hard to believe that I am actually happy Di Giorgio beat Nunziata in that one. There are not a lot of candidates less suited than Di Giorgio to be a City Councillor, but Nunziata is one of them.

My "favourite" Nunziata story is when was an Independent MP, and special Parliamentary approval was required to allow a statue of a non-PM/non-Monarch to be installed on Parliament Hill (in this case, it was the statue of the Famous Five). To get it through quickly, they needed unanimous consent of the House of Commons. All the parties were on side, and every MP voted yes, except of course John Nunziata, whose sole rationale for opposing the motion was "How can they be famous? I've never heard of them.". They waited until Nunziata left the House for a few minutes, and quickly held another vote wherethey got unanimous consent. And the general consensus among everyone across the political divide was that Nunziata was a moron.

...(in this case, it was the statue of the Famous Five).
Julian, Dick and Anne, George and Timmy the dog? Sorry, just kidding, but that's always the first thing that pops into my head when I see "Famous Five". Too much Enid Blyton as a child.

Only if it was Kiffany.

XS5LK.gif

Back