News   Apr 18, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bailão has to go. She's been negligible and the area isn't even that Portuguese anymore.

I read this as "she isn't even that Portuguese anymore", and was going to respond asking you what the heck you meant by this, and to what ethnicity she is transitioning. I didn't properly read your post until I had it quoted in my reply. What you actually said makes way more sense. :)

If you look at the redrawing of the council wards, her ward gets split into three pieces. She could be vulnerable.

I suspect that Palacio is the vulnerable one in that three-way battle, but politics is funny and unpredictable, and a lot can happen in a year, so who knows.

If you look at the redrawing of the council wards, her ward gets split into three pieces. She could be vulnerable.

I don't love his shallow leftist rebellion against developments but Perks is a lock. So that leaves Bailão against Palacio.

I don't love his shallow leftist rebellion against developments but Perks is a lock. So that leaves Bailão against Palacio.

Although I saw Perks in the past year or so give one of the best speeches I have ever heard at Community Council. A developer was proposing a new tower in an area designated Apartment Neighbourhoods. The developer worked with Planning, met with residents, and refined its project to a modest dozen or so storeys, and incorporated many other changes that Planning requested, such that the Final Report recommended approval.

It was Matlow's ward, and Matlow was playing to the peanut gallery (the audience was full of his ratepayers who thought the highest and best use in an Apartment Neighbourhood is semi-detached houses). Matlow moved a motion to restrict the height to something like six storeys, notwithstanding the recommendations of the City's own planning department. When questioned, Matlow couldn't really justify the six storey limit, other than to say that the residents felt it to be "fair" and "already too much of a compromise", yet he was defiant in arguing that it was appropriate.

Perks then gave a great speech. Any summary I do won't do it justice. He talked about how we live in a country with private property, and that Council cannot forget that fact when exercising its authority over planning matters. He talked about how this developer had done exactly what Councillors keep asking developers to do - it talked to the Councillor, talked to the residents, talked to the planners, worked with the Planning department, and resubmitted a proposal that the Planning department could support. Yet, in reward for its responsible actions, the developer was faced with a motion to impose an arbitrary six-storey height limit with no planning basis and that was not recommended by Planning staff. Perks said "when we do things like this, it justifies the existence of the OMB". And Council ends up having to waste tax dollars to hire outside planning consultants to defend this arbitrary 6-storey limit at the OMB, with the City fighting the developer and its own Planning staff.

Only one speech, so I shouldn't make too much of it. But it was good. And it has improved my opinion of Perks.

This is purely conjecture, but Perks has been one of the most overtly and obviously exasperated members of Council this term (completely understandably). I say that because we often assume that councillors who are likely to win re-election are assured to run again, but we shall see.

I can actually see Palacio retiring and endorsing Bailao in a "Lib-NDP" race which may or may not involve Perks.

I have the utmost respect for Perks despite him being a bit too lefty to me. I know he genuinely cares and wants to do right by this city, I know he has a serious and intrinsic understanding of how this city works and operates, and I know he understands how transit planning works. If he was running in my ward, I would vote for him because he is genuinely one of the best Councilors this city has to offer. I don't think he would make a good mayoral candidate though and don't think he should attempt that (and I doubt he would).

Bailao on the other hand, I wish Alex Mazer beat her in 2014. It was a close vote.

I'd vote for Perks too, don't get me wrong. But some of his anti-development stances were in an awkward conflict with his economic views.

I can actually see Palacio retiring and endorsing Bailao in a "Lib-NDP" race which may or may not involve Perks.

Not sure. I do know that despite their ideological differences, they are both members of the 'big tent' Liberal Party, and they probably would rather not go against each other.

Not sure. I do know that despite their ideological differences, they are both members of the 'big tent' Liberal Party, and they probably would rather not go against each other.

Perks would run in the new ward 18, and Bailao would stay in 19. If Palacio is retiring there's no reason for Perks and Bailao to run against each other.

I've heard that those in the know expect Palacio and Bailao to indeed wind up running against each other.

I've heard that those in the know expect Palacio and Bailao to indeed wind up running against each other.

It wouldn't be the first time two candidates belonging to the same political party ran against one another. In 2010 then councillor Peter Milczyn ran against current councillor Di Ciano - both are card-carrying Grits. Ditto for Frank Di Georgio vs. John Nuniziata last election.

Last edited:
I have the utmost respect for Perks despite him being a bit too lefty to me. I know he genuinely cares and wants to do right by this city, I know he has a serious and intrinsic understanding of how this city works and operates, and I know he understands how transit planning works. If he was running in my ward, I would vote for him because he is genuinely one of the best Councilors this city has to offer.

Such a smart person, yet he's relegated to the sidelines while Tory stacks his executive with the dumbest councillors in Toronto.

Back