News   Apr 19, 2024
 98     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 753     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.4K     2 

2015 Federal Election

I fully expect my MP (Roxanne James) to lose. To be quite honest, I never heard of her doing a thing in Ottawa.

I've seen on her Power and Politics a few times - just sounded like a robot spouting Harper government talking points.

She is just about the most vulnerable Conservative in Toronto - she slipped through in a 3-way race with 35% of the vote.

She canvassed our apartment building during the campaign and seemed nice enough, but I have no intention of supporting her this time.

She is just about the most vulnerable Conservative in Toronto - she slipped through in a 3-way race with 35% of the vote.

And in some ways, her slipping through was more a measure of the weakness of the Liberal incumbent John Cannis, who was basically, well, a Liberal version of the same--only he had 18 years of 416-Grit rubber-stamp autopilot to float on. Once Iggy blew it, however, he was toast.

One of the few Liberal MP's to survive that rout was none other than Jim Karygiannas. I have no idea how he kept on getting re-elected...

One of the few Liberal MP's to survive that rout was none other than Jim Karygiannas. I have no idea how he kept on getting re-elected...

By the sounds of it he was not well liked by his colleagues on the Hill so I'm assuming he read the writing on the wall and took a pay cut as a councillor.

He was one of the old Scarborough boys of the Chretien and Martin era - Karygiannas, John Cannis, Tom Wappel, John McKay - right leaning Liberals who collected dust on the backbenches for two decades. Only McKay remains.

Last edited:
Michael Connors @MikeConnors · 48m 48 minutes ago
NTV/MQO poll: Decided and leaning voters:

Liberal 60%
PC 28%
NDP 11%
Green 1%

Sample: 314, MOE +/-5.52
#nlpoli

Michael Connors
‏@MikeConnors
NTV/MQO poll: Federal decided voters only:

Liberal 64%
Conservative 21%
NDP 14%
Green/Other 1%

Sample: 323, MOE +/-5.45

Harper better look past Newfoundland.

Have you seen the new map for Spadina-Fort York? I live in St Lawrence Market but am no longer Toronto Centre. Who dreamed these things up? Would it not have made more sense to cut Toronto Centre's top off and have it as part of University Rosedale? As it stands people on different sides of the Esplanade are going to have different candidates as well as polling stations.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=cir/maps2/ontario&document=index&lang=e

There were numerous information centres, mail outs, and newspaper ads seeking feedback on the boundary redrawing. There was a lot of opportunity for public participation in the process.

Last edited:
Map

There were numerous information centres, mail outs, and newspaper ads seeking feedback on the boundary redrawing. There was a lot of opportunity for public participation in the process.

There may well have been all of those things but the only way I found out was through Elections Canada. And I live in the area affected, get lots of "occupant" mail and read all those annoying little notices in the paper. I never heard a thing until fall 2013.

Someone has been handing out election flyers in our building. A lady named Salma Zahid is the Liberal candidate. Good enough for me.

Someone has been handing out election flyers in our building. A lady named Salma Zahid is the Liberal candidate. Good enough for me.
That is definitely the draw back of fixed election dates. Anticipate canvassers at the door throughout the Spring and Summer.

Back