News   Apr 19, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 743     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.2K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Why Olivia Chow is the Underdog in the Toronto Mayor’s Race

Every public opinion poll I’ve seen on the Toronto mayor’s race tells me what I’m about to write is ridiculous. And yet, I maintain Olivia Chow will be the underdog in the campaign that will culminate on October 27, 2014.

[...]

So for all the reasons listed above, I say Chow’s the underdog. Watching how she handles all of these challenges will be one of the great unfolding stories surrounding this 2014 mayoralty campaign.

http://theagenda.tvo.org/blog/agenda-blogs/why-olivia-chow-underdog-toronto-mayor-s-race-0

I'm not so sure. Calling the Police Chief a "c*cksucker", the possible future PM a "f@ggot" and his old football team "f&cking minorities" if replayed on a loop running up to election day should be a good reminder why this guy shouldn't even be a City Councillor...
I wouldn't count on any of that turning the tide. Lots of people hate the police, consider homosexuals as sinful "sodomites" and fear minorities (at least those outside of their own minority group) as bent on violent and criminal activity. There's a lot of hate out there for any politician to tap and guide in his wanted direction.

I wouldn't count on any of that turning the tide. Lots of people hate the police, consider homosexuals as sinful "sodomites" and fear minorities (at least those outside of their own minority group) as bent on violent and criminal activity. There's a lot of hate out there for any politician to tap and guide in his wanted direction.

Sure there are ... but why is Rob Ford trying so hard to steal the 1,000 or so votes that white supremecist neo-nazo Don Andrews normally gets.

Perhaps Ford thinks he'll get more votes if they run these signs again:
Picture%2B23.png

When a Mayor refuses to meet with the very Police he "controls" the budget for - that type of contempt is ridiculously suspect and I can't wait for Chow or Tory to level that one at Rob Ford in a televised debate. Besides - most of those people who harbor the opinions you speak of moved to the 905 years ago to get away for such perceived concepts.

Soknacki is on chat at the Star. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/24/tuesday_livechat_send_david_soknacki_your_questions.html
Had a great answer about the budget:

Depending on how Wednesday goes you could be inheriting a huge financial mess, What are the most important issues of Toronto's budget right now?
by Arg0naut 12:12 PM
↑ 1 Likes

where do I start? Because there is no guiding hand, there is no overall vision for the budget. So it might be out of balance which is huge and against the law. Next, there is no sense of budget priorities. Finally, it will be a mess at Council where anything can - and does - happen.
by David Soknacki 12:14 PM
↑ 1 Likes

Well, he was better than Ford...lol
He had some good answers for sure, and showed an understanding of how complex the mayor's job really is.
But he was asked twice (once by me) how he would heal the divide between the burbs and downtown, and what his vision is.
Soknacki focused on very practical concerns, and talked about service needs etc.
He is not getting that TO needs a kind of psychological healing as well. And a way to see all parts of the city as working together.

Soknacki's a clown. Scarborough has Ford's back. Soknacki is no different than the other downtown loving, suburb forgetting "forward thinkers" politicians. As of right now Ford has this election, cant see any of this crop beating him.

His transit policy ignores reality however, and I just can't get past that. both promises he has made on that front are essentially impossible.

Soknacki is a very reasonable conservative. He knows that building subways in Scarborough, even though it is his home, is not the best use of limited taxpayers' money.

I may be a Chow supporter, but Soknacki is one interesting person (and if there were ranked ballots, he would be my #2 or #3).

Soknacki's a clown. Scarborough has Ford's back. Soknacki is no different than the other downtown loving, suburb forgetting "forward thinkers" politicians. As of right now Ford has this election, cant see any of this crop beating him.

How much does Ford pay you per post? I'd love to get onto that action, sitting back, firing a snarky, reality-divorced comment once in a while...

While it is fine to support the LRT, it is politically impossible to switch back at this point, as if it was switched back to LRT, the province would have to take control of the project again, which means the province will have to agree to build an LRT, which it won't. The Liberals ran an election on the subway, and won't go back on the promise. If the city pulls its funding, they will simply build the stunted subway that only goes to STC and that is a vastly inferior service to what is currently being planned. A switch to a PC government won't fix the issue either, as they too are promising subways.

The promise to accelerate the LRT construction is also impossible from a municipal standpoint, as the LRTs are provincial projects. Municipal politicians have 0 control over Metrolinx projects, accelleration initiatives are something that the provincial government would have to do. His basic lack of understanding of who is managing this $5 billion dollar project shows me that he is severly lacking in knowledge in the transit front, though his knowledge is admittedly more than Fords.

Scarborough has Ford's back LOL - cuz Robbie invited all the electorate down to Florida to enjoy his 6 condo's... and Robbie and Douggie aren't elitists... sure.

Malvern2 gets to hang with the Fordie Bros in one of the Florida condo's - that's how he gets paid - that or he's a staffer.

Pay me? Buddy have you looked at the polls and the approval ratings recently? There's a large segment of us who support the guy. And if you want to talk reality, you should really consider the very real possibility of him winning re-election. The challengers so far are less than inspiring.

Back