313     0 

2010: Twenty Ten or Two Thousand & Ten?

How do you pronounce "2010"?

• Two Thousand and Ten

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Twenty Ten

Votes: 42 87.5%

• Total voters
After saying "two-thousand one/two/three/four/five/six/seven/eight/nine" for a decade it's going to be hard to stop saying it this year. But it looks like the consensus is "twenty-ten". I voted "twenty-ten" until I realized, I actually say "two-thousand ten" (so far, it's still early in the year so the war isn't won yet).

Once we get to 2013 it will be modus operandi to revert back to "Two Thousand and..." but for now Twenty Ten, Twenty Eleven, Twenty Twelve just rolls off the tongue so easily. And yeah it the buzzword, hip, cool way to say it. Btw, anyone still accidentally going to write out 2009 when signing things only to catch yourself making the mistake at the 2nd zero? This happened to me twice this week, lol.

President Obama said "Two Thousand & Ten" several times in his State of Union address.

I'm watching the Grammys and paying attention to what the artists say. So far I've heard a few "Twenty Ten's".

I wonder who will have more influence on culture: The President of the United States or rock/pop/rap heroes?

UPDATE: It looks like the President and pop culture agree: "The Two Thousand & Ten Grammys" is the official name of the awards this year.

Last edited:
Formal: Two thousand & ten
Informal/Casual: Twenty-ten

I don't see why Two thousand and thirteen would be any different, I think we'll see both terms used throughout the entire decade... and no one will still know what the heck to call the last decade.

"Get your 80's, 90's and January 2000 to December 2009 retro cd here!" lol

The Olympics have been a good gauge for this topic. It seems that the transition from Two Thousand and ________ ... to Twenty ________ wasn't one that happened instantly. It is happening throughout the year.

At the beginning of the games, the official name was "The Vancouver Two Thousand and Ten Winter Games" but at some point near the middle, I began to hear more and more reporters call it "The Vancouver Twenty Ten Winter Games". Now that the games are over, I've been hearing "Twenty Ten" almost exclusively.

I think the transition will be complete by 2011 and last until .... well, The Year Three Thousand.

Ha! Exactly what I said! lol The announcer in the closing ceremonies just said: "Welcome to the Vancouver Twenty Ten Olympic Games closing ceremony". I remember distinctively the same announcer calling it the "Two Thousand and Ten" winter games in the opening ceremony. The transition is well on its way ;)

Back