Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3336934

2 QUEEN ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York
OPA / Rezoning

The proposed redevelopment of the site involves the construction of a 65 Storey rental residential tower atop a heritage podium base, which will be reconstructed to depict the appearance of the original heritage building. 580 dwelling units are being proposed with a commercial component.

Wow. I've been hoping for this for a while. I'm particularly looking forward to the restoration of the heritage base. IIRC LeftCoaster over at SSP hinted at a development here ages ago.

So this would be built atop the already defaced heritage building at the northwest corner of Yonge? Is it true that the Eaton Centre already has foundations capable of supporting a building of this magnitude?

This is the one I hinted at in the supertalls thread something like a year ago. They were looking at something like 75 floors then though. At the time it was a circular tower with no balconies, it was extremely basic at that time though, so it's probably quite different now.

It seems like Yonge Street is going to be Toronto's epicentre of architecture and retail. It's an exciting transformation. I can only imagine how all these monster towers are going to effect the street, in the near future.

So this would be built atop the already defaced heritage building at the northwest corner of Yonge?

Technically, it was de-defaced in its last '86 resurrection (i.e. Woolworth's metal grillage removed, recovered detail restored where viable). The only reason why it might still register as "defaced" is that the Postmodernism within which said recovered details is ensconced didn't age well...

That heritage building in 1915

f1244_it0495-knox-store.jpg

In 1939

f1244_it1181-royal-visit-1939.jpg

Circa 1972

f0124_fl0002_id0151-woolworths-yonge-queen-1972.jpg

Now

Screen-shot-2012-12-10-at-4.03.52-PM.png

Here is a sketchup model I made back when I heard of it, adjusted for the new 65 floor height. 205m tall (guessed height, not official), with the semi-circular design I saw.

To completely restore the heritage building is tough but doable. Considering the profits the developer will make on this tower, and greasing the approval process this is a no-brainer.

Back