Toronto 1859 Davenport | 11.57m | 3s | Ambient Designs

Froggy

Member Bio
Reaction score
To construct a three-storey rear addition and a third floor addition. The proposed uses will include retail on the ground floor and residential on the second and third floor.

From the supporting documentation, uploaded in January 2018:
Brick veneer, decorative stone, painted metal.
Four 1-bedroom apartments with an average size of 63 sqm, 2 retail units with 1 patio
Hearing Date February 22, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.14.38 PM.png

This is at the corner of Davenport and Symington, and it is replacing a this building - Happy Chinese Restaurant only, that's been boarded up for years:
Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.25.43 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.14.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.14.38 PM.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.25.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.25.43 PM.png
    612.4 KB · Views: 1,299
Davenport west of Caledonia has cleaned up nicely ever since the 11 Division Police station was completed. There's decent potential along this stretch that I think is currently under-tapped, which could parallel the section to its south along Dupont which has seen an influx of refreshing new retail in recent years.

Absolutely offensive that anyone would consider replacing the current building with this. To own that property and not feel a moral obligation to respect the artistry of those who came before reflects a lack of humanity IMO. They should reflect on what they are contributing to the world — and what they are destroying for their own gain.

Absolutely offensive that anyone would consider replacing the current building with this. To own that property and not feel a moral obligation to respect the artistry of those who came before reflects a lack of humanity IMO. They should reflect on what they are contributing to the world — and what they are destroying for their own gain.
I agree. the windows are gorgeous, but this corner is basically abandoned and anything would breathe new life into the strip. A lot of great opportunity on West Davenport.

I agree. the windows are gorgeous, but this corner is basically abandoned and anything would breathe new life into the strip.

That's a shockingly low standard. They should be counting their lucky stars that something noteworthy exists that could resuscitate the corner. Not only are they blind to that but now they're ensuring that this corner will be mind numbing and forgettable for another 60-100 years.

It's astonishing how we criticize the destruction of countless historic buildings from our past yet people still keep doing it. And people explain it away by saying 'oh it's abandoned so it's ok to destroy it'. The reason its abandoned is because the building has been neglected. It's akin to finding a vintage car in a garage and saying it should be sold for scrap metal because no one is using it.

Last edited:
That's a shockingly low standard. They should be counting their lucky stars that something noteworthy exists that could resuscitate the corner. Not only are they blind to that but now they're ensuring that this corner will be mind numbing and forgettable for another 60-100 years.

It's astonishing how we criticize the destruction of countless historic buildings from our past yet people still keep doing it. And people explain it away by saying 'oh it's abandoned so it's ok to destroy it'. The reason its abandoned is because the building has been neglected. It's akin to finding a vintage car in a garage and saying it should be sold for scrap metal because no one is using it.
Agree to disagree. Low standard or not, it’s a grim stretch of abandoned and boarded up buildings. I live directly in this neighbourhood and think that once someone develops something new, more will come. I’m being selfish but that’s just for me. If they want to restore, even better, but I’ll take anything at this point. Our neighbourhood doesn’t scream heritage visiting site to begin with.

Agree to disagree. Low standard or not, it’s a grim stretch of abandoned and boarded up buildings. I live directly in this neighbourhood and think that once someone develops something new, more will come. I’m being selfish but that’s just for me. If they want to restore, even better, but I’ll take anything at this point. Our neighbourhood doesn’t scream heritage visiting site to begin with.

People like the many Victorian Bay-and-Gable and grand Edwardian houses in the area. I always enjoy the narrow streets in the area like Miller and Lindner, which feel historic. There's a lot of value in the existing built form.

People like the many Victorian Bay-and-Gable and grand Edwardian houses in the area. I always enjoy the narrow streets in the area like Miller and Lindner, which feel historic. There's a lot of value in the existing built form.
I do love that Miller and Lindner area. Lots of great art businesses along Miller

Reactions: vic
I am new to this area and I think this is an awesome project and idea! The area is so dull and old , it is definitely time for some modernization in this area , it’s been long overdue. I am excited for this area to start its makeover.

Maybe you should wake up and stop living in the past. Nothing stays the same and the world needs to evolve. People and things are more modernized now and why in the world would they even want to keep this old and outdated building ? Of course anyone in their right mind would want to get rid of it and add a more modernized building. The world is evolving and I think this is a great idea. I love the new building that is going to be put here and hopefully the rest of the area will take action and change because this whole area needs a complete makeover.

New isn't necessarily better.
In this case if the existing building were cleaned up, painted , renovated, and added on top. lit up at night, the value of the corner, including visual and monentarily, would increase way more than the proposed banality. Living in the past and respecting the past are entirely different. Respecting the past holds hope for the future which in our current times the future seems a little bleak.

Back