Toronto 2933 Sheppard East | 61.72m | 22s | Times Group | Icke Brochu

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_23jan12.pdf

Design review panel voted to refine this design.

6774382980_cf88b975cd_o.png

Developer: CANADA HAIXIN INTERNATIONAL GROUP

Glad to see Noik's old proposal is not what is being planned.

This is at least the fourth design I've seen for this site over the last +/- 15 years. Those west facing units on the six-storey building will be smelling Johnny's all day long. Not saying that's a bad thing, however.

I like the design a lot. However, it's too bad the rendering above uses a mirror image on the far left to flesh out the picture (take a look at the building with the red details, and the car on the street in front of it). It's not as obvious on the website, but it's a glaring shortcut in the full image.

Those west facing units on the six-storey building will be smelling Johnny's all day long. Not saying that's a bad thing, however.

Haha, we jest but the notion that the lower west-facing levels will be overlooking the rear of Johnny's, where those picnic tables are, should be something to take into consideration.

Overall, this re-design is very interesting. Reminds me of a chubbier version of L Tower. Looks much better than the original proposal for this site though.

Haha, we jest but the notion that the lower west-facing levels will be overlooking the rear of Johnny's, where those picnic tables are, should be something to take into consideration.

Overall, this re-design is very interesting. Reminds me of a chubbier version of L Tower. Looks much better than the original proposal for this site though.

Speaking of surrounding businesses, looks like the Coffee Time across from this site (right at the corner of Vic Park and Sheppard) has gone out of business.

With the Tridel Atria project and the Imperial Square mall+towers both nearby west of here, this stretch of Sheppard will look very different once everything is up. (LRT tracks, too?)

Speaking of surrounding businesses, looks like the Coffee Time across from this site (right at the corner of Vic Park and Sheppard) has gone out of business.

With the Tridel Atria project and the Imperial Square mall+towers both nearby west of here, this stretch of Sheppard will look very different once everything is up. (LRT tracks, too?)

Coffee time has not gone out of business they shut down to renovate to one of those newer high end coffee times.

That is not necessarily true. Looking at the site, there is a large loading area for the office building behind Johnny's and then there is some parking spots behind that loading area. So those units will not be directly overlooking Johnny's. There is a decent amount of space between the development and the adjacent property.

On that note, I would have loved to see this design in Humber Bay Shores, albeit a bit taller. Dare I say it, this design is too fancy for this area.

That is not necessarily true. Looking at the site, there is a large loading area for the office building behind Johnny's and then there is some parking spots behind that loading area. So those units will not be directly overlooking Johnny's. There is a decent amount of space between the development and the adjacent property.

No, you're right, if I remember correctly, the new Shoppers building at the southeast corner of Vic Park and Sheppard actually wraps around the area behind Johnny's with their parking lot so that should provide a buffer to the property line of the Sail condos.

On that note, I would have loved to see this design in Humber Bay Shores, albeit a bit taller. Dare I say it, this design is too fancy for this area.

I can't disagree that this design is certainly unexpected for this area and this intersection. I mean, there's a Coffee Time on one corner, an old Petro-Canada kitty corner, and an old stand-alone Pizza Pizza across the street. That said, I think it's great to see a bold design like this to add some zest to this otherwise mundane business area.

Back