Toronto 17 St Andrew | 22.6m | 5s | Impressions Group | Z Square

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
https://www.theimpressionsgroup.ca/copy-of-kensington-market-condos

Currently this:

It's different with a certain 70's funk to it. It will definitely bring some life to this dead part of Kensington Market.
The 3-storey grey brick building to the west has been abandoned for quite some time, wondering what's going on there?
The renovated Hsin Kuang Centre east of it should have been more like this -- that building is still vacant and looking for tenants.

Looks like 17 St. Andrew Street may be the working address, which is also the address of the closed poultry shop building.

Also despite the URL wording, this development is categorized on Impressions Group's website as a rental project.

Indeed, this is one of SvN's projects, and it is a purpose-built rental development.

Last edited:
I’m surprised this hasn’t received much backlash on social media. 10 years ago people would be storming Kensington with torches if a condo creeped in. I guess we have resigned ourselves to our new condo overlords.

I’m surprised this hasn’t received much backlash on social media. 10 years ago people would be storming Kensington with torches if a condo creeped in. I guess we have resigned ourselves to our new condo overlords.

I've seen a little bit of that today, though I think it's a somewhat different situation when it's a shitty surface parking lots that's being replaced.

The scale of this is fairly similar to the mid-rise one block north at 160 Baldwin St (Kensington Market Lofts), which has also integrated reasonably well into the area. Especially with the poultry shop closed for several years now, this section along St. Andrew has been an empty patch of urban fabric for some time now and could use some infill.

Shame that the SW corner of Spadina and Baldwin remains a blight so many years after the fire.

New commentary posted now on the project website:

We are excited to be exploring options for our site at 17 St. Andrew in Kensington Market. The rendering above is a preliminary concept only that was developed as we start to study the site. No application has been submitted to the City of Toronto at this point. We look forward to working with the community to envision a future for this site.

Back