Toronto 17 St Andrew | 22.6m | 5s | Impressions Group | Z Square

I could be wrong but I actually doubt this will face much oppo given what the land is currently being used as, and that the proposal is quite lovely and fitting of neighbourhood scale.

Impressions Group have updated their web page on this project. Some changes made to the rendering, primarily with the ground and top levels. The height has been altered from 7 to 5 storeys now. Also, more info is available now on its status and plan moving forward.

The current proposal is for a 5-storey, student-focused residential rental building with 77 units and ground-floor retail space. The building provides a 3-storey base that complements the 2-3 storey buildings on St. Andrew Street and Kensington Avenue, and steps back from the base on the 4th and 5th floors. The building will feature a mix of unit sizes, with approximately 80% studios and 1-bedroom units and 20% 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom units to accommodate a variety of residents, including students and families. The design respects Kensington’s unique mixed-use character and incorporates enhancements to the public realm to contribute to an active streetscape.

Last edited:
Key points from the FAQ:

Will there be student housing?
The proposed development is student-focussed. We anticipate that units will appeal to a variety of tenants, including undergraduate and graduate students from the University of Toronto and other surrounding post-secondary institutions. Indoor amenity space will be geared to student populations.

What are the heritage considerations?
17 St. Andrew Street is not listed or designated on the City of Toronto’s Heritage Registry. A Heritage Conservation District (HCD) Study for Kensington Market is underway and expected to go to the Toronto Preservation Board in Fall 2019. Elements from the buildings immediately to the east (13-15 St. Andrew Street) are taken into account to ensure the new building respects the overall Market character.

How much car parking will be included?
While the proposed building does not include vehicular parking, there is a multi-level Green P parking structure directly across the street with 504 spaces.

Will the building include bicycle parking?
Recognizing that many residents get around by bicycle, the proposal includes 156 bike parking spaces on the ground floor and basement levels, including 144 long-term spaces.

What is the timing for this project?
The process for development applications is subject to approval by City Council. At this time, our plan is to submit our development application for review in September 2019. Once the application is submitted, the review process will take several months.

Impressions Group have updated their web page on this project. Some changes made to the rendering, primarily with the ground and top levels. The height has been altered from 7 to 5 storeys now. Also, more info is available now on its status and plan moving forward.

Here's a side-by-side of the previous rendering vs the current one. Click to enlarge.

Application submitted as 5 storeys, the top section is considered as a mechanical penthouse.

17 ST ANDREW ST
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate the development of a 5-storey mixed-use building (with mechanical penthouse) having an overall height of 21 metres. A total of 77 residential units and 171.5 square metres of non-residential floor area will be provided.

Last edited:
I have not read any of the docs yet but I am assuming the multiple colours of brick / metal framing is likely in response to a staff comment asking for the facade to be broken up and it's just not working for me. I love the red and gold and I love the white and pink, but not together. They need to pick one and commit to it.

Back