Toronto 1602 Queen Street East | ?m | 6s | True North | SMV

20200919_123835.jpg

Ontario’s first six-storey mass timber residential rental build could be a trendsetter

September 22, 2020

The company behind Ontario’s first six-storey mass timber residential rental building in Toronto sees it as a viable new model for midrise housing.

R-Hauz Solutions Inc.’s co-founder and principal Leith Moore says the 13,500 square foot pilot in the Beaches neighbourhood is “a repeatable product” that speeds design, development and construction.

Conventional wisdom suggests concrete and steel are the choice for six-storey residences but R-Hauz’s “unique” solution is comprised primarily of cross-laminated timber (CLT), says Moore, adding the pilot conforms to the city’s midrise guidelines.

The largely prefabricated CLT structure will be assembled in less than six weeks, after the foundation has been completed, shaving weeks off the time to construct a concrete structure, he says.

“We really can be much faster in the front end because we’re a slab-on-grade and because of prefabricated construction we are much faster in the back end,” he explains.

The mass timber design on Queen Street East consists of a 20-foot-wide six-plex and a 40-foot 12-plex.

---------
David Moses, principal of Moses Structural Engineers, says time will tell if R-Hauz’s model catches on in Toronto and other cities where different approaches to CLT design are under consideration.

“If you narrow it down to mass timber on a tight urban site, I don’t think you have a lot of other precedents right now.”

Moses points out the concrete construction industry has had several decades to refine designs and building methodologies.

“This industry is still in its infancy.”

He hopes building officials across Canada take notice that mass timber can be a viable design alternative for residential midrise construction.

“They (city officials) have to help the developers provide the (residential) solutions that the community needs and try to streamline that process,” he says.

The six-storey building is slated for completion in November.

R. Hauz is in partnership with land owners on the Beaches project, which is being marketed under the name Old Stonehenge Development Corporation.

Although the architecture treads on being generally ho-hum, it's overall inoffensive and does what it's supposed to as an urban fabric infill building. The scale is perfect for mid-block intensification along main streets.

Although the architecture treads on being generally ho-hum, it's overall inoffensive

Ummm, I dunno, I'm pretty offended by ho-humness; I could deal wthe bland colours etc..... but I really wish it played nicer w/the neighbours...

Just align the second storey window height w/that of the building to the west; and again (I bring this up often) include some visual demarcation between the retail and the residential above, as all the buildings do just to the west.

It's so easy, and so inexpensive to get some small details right...........

The scale is perfect for mid-block intensification along main streets.

Yes, it is.

Back