Toronto 155 Redpath Condominiums | 120.39m | 34s | Freed | a—A

Solid glazing + nicely patterned mullions + strategically placed and designed spandrel = a job well done. And it doesn't strike me as obviously far more expensive or far more difficult. It's just more thoughtful. Obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about viz. whether it's far more expensive. But I'd be surprised if it were, as minus the glazing this strikes me as mostly a design not materials issue.

One thing we really focused on was minimizing mullions as much as possible with the glazing. A horizontal mullion was removed to create a less busy facade, and we focused on ensuring the details of the window wall were well executed. One detail we're still thinking about are the red accent panels on the exposed glass faces of the building. The current glazing is a double layer vensiva, which we are thinking is reading a little too dark. We're exploring an alternative which would be a 50% horizontal frit in a version of candy apple red. It pops quite a bit more and also creates a much nicer condition inside the units (less of the glowing effect). What do you guys think?

Thanks for the insight, Bentley. I imagine the red frit would read much more nicely; I find the current window wall detail to be too dark and it gets lost in the mix because of the spandrel being a lighter tone that 'pops' more. In that sense, the red frit option would both improve the look of the red units but would also downplay the spandrel areas. I'd be curious to see a mock-up if one goes up.

One detail we're still thinking about are the red accent panels on the exposed glass faces of the building. The current glazing is a double layer vensiva, which we are thinking is reading a little too dark. We're exploring an alternative which would be a 50% horizontal frit in a version of candy apple red. It pops quite a bit more and also creates a much nicer condition inside the units (less of the glowing effect).
I had not even made the connection of the red glass with what was depicted in the renderings: I thought I was seeing simply more darkly tinted glazing. While I see the red now that I'm looking for it, I had to be told. Yes: Go for the frit!

One thing we really focused on was minimizing mullions as much as possible with the glazing. A horizontal mullion was removed to create a less busy facade, and we focused on ensuring the details of the window wall were well executed. One detail we're still thinking about are the red accent panels on the exposed glass faces of the building. The current glazing is a double layer vensiva, which we are thinking is reading a little too dark. We're exploring an alternative which would be a 50% horizontal frit in a version of candy apple red. It pops quite a bit more and also creates a much nicer condition inside the units (less of the glowing effect). What do you guys think?
Awesome. Thanks for chiming in. Like others have said, I think adding colour that pops more is almost always a great idea, especially since the cladding here already looks really promising.

Cell phone drive by shots from August 20th:

20160820_183349_resized.jpg
20160820_183357_resized.jpg
20160820_183400_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20160820_183349_resized.jpg
    20160820_183349_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,553
  • 20160820_183357_resized.jpg
    20160820_183357_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,625
  • 20160820_183400_resized.jpg
    20160820_183400_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,595
Solid glazing + nicely patterned mullions + strategically placed and designed spandrel = a job well done. And it doesn't strike me as obviously far more expensive or far more difficult. It's just more thoughtful. Obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about viz. whether it's far more expensive. But I'd be surprised if it were, as minus the glazing this strikes me as mostly a design not materials issue.

It looks like your standard window wall. Lot of mullion however, with full height panes of glass and a good job matching the spandrel at the floor slab to the vision glass.

155 is starting to creep up above the existing apartment tower closer to my building:

p16fv6h.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image - camera's zoom function isn't the best. Taken tonight.

Yup, I haven't checked this thread since the spring so checking it now and seeing it 20 floors higher is a big surprise.

Back