News   Mar 28, 2024
 927     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 531     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

15 Wellesley E (Parking lot redevelopment, Plaza, ?s, Quadrangle)

It's hardly the ugliest building in Toronto, in fact I thought it was one of the better looking buildings on upper Bay Street a decade ago. They made one hell of a mess with the courtyard renovation in front of the building a few years back.

I heard about some more details on this project. Depending on market conditions, I expect rezoning & SPA etc beginning this Fall. I think it could be a decent project.

And btw, nimbies will be pleased to hear there's much much more to come for this strip of Yonge....;)

Yonge Street is the new Bay Street for developers. Grade A material.

Last edited:
I heard about some more details on this project. Depending on market conditions, I expect rezoning & SPA etc beginning this Fall. I think it could be a decent project.

And btw, nimbies will be pleased to hear there's much much more to come for this strip of Yonge....;)

Yonge Street is the new Bay Street for developers. Grade A material.

?? who will be zoning it? the TPA?? i thought the site was for sale.

Nice to finally hear a development coming for this site. I just hope they can create a nice landscaped walkway along Maitland Terrace. Quadrangle sure are busy right now with so many current and even more upcoming projects in the city. I believe Plazacorp's 50 Wellesley (on hold?) project is also by them.

In case anyone ever wonders, not every single old house is deemed heritage: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-50966.pdf

"The owners of 15 Wellesley Street East and 20 and 26 Maitland Street have assembled
the neighbouring properties for sale as a potential development site. The lands are
comprised of a Toronto Parking Authority car park extending from Wellesley to
Maitland, which is adjoined to the east by a semi-detached house form building at #20
Maitland and the former offices of the Catholic Children's Aid Society at #26 Maitland.

Staff have researched and evaluated the property at 20 Maitland Street according to
Ontario Regulation 9/06, the provincial criteria prescribed for municipal designation, and
determined that the site does not merit inclusion on the City's heritage inventory and/or
designation under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act."

#20 isn't exceptional, but it's a nicely maintained house and adds a little charactor to the street, the last remaining house between Yonge & Church St. if I'm not mistaken. I think it's split up into several apartments for students.

theres a house on the other side of 26 Maitland..

and there are literally thousands of bay and gables like that in Toronto. not a major loss in any way.

Last edited:
15 Wellesley Street East (Toronto Parking Authority site)

Toronto Parking Authority plans on selling Wellesley parking lot south of Wellesley subway station. Plans would be to demolish properties along Maitland Street, and add multiple-tower development to the parking lot. Unknown developer proposing plan. Awaiting city approval.

Wellesley parking lot may become condo

Toronto Parking Authority pursues plans to sell its Wellesley Street lot for a possible multiple-tower development that would also see a pair of adjacent properties on Maitland Street, including the Catholic Children’s Aid Society building, demolished.

The Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) has been entertaining proposals to redevelop the lot and has settled on a proposal from one developer. The TPA does not yet have authority from the city to sell or redevelop the property.

Marie Casista, TPA’s vice-president of real estate, says there’s no guarantee the proposal will proceed. “It’s an integral part of the community in that it supports parking and therefore supports the businesses,” she says. “But it’s a lot of land, and there must be something we can do with that land to revitalize it or make it something more than just a surface parking lot.”

http://dailyxtra.com/toronto/news/wellesley-parking-lot-may-become-condo

Last edited:
Sometimes it's hard to resist a little tease, but I'm not doing it to torment anyone. I'm just letting people know something's coming without revealing anything that I'm not permitted to say yet!

Back