News   Apr 22, 2024
 804     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 681     0 

15 Wellesley E (Parking lot redevelopment, Plaza, ?s, Quadrangle)

I've always thought the area around Wellesley station was kind of underdeveloped. This is replacing a parking lot and will continue the trend of taller towers to the back of Yonge Street, so it seems like appropriate intensification.

I totally agree. I do think anything touching Yonge should try to stay low-rise though. But this is set back WAY farther that 5ive. Go high. Especially since it's right across from the subway station.

ya i see what you mean....i just think a park would be nice here. and it seems like a natural fit what with the subway running underneath the site. there's gonna be enough intensification with the five/501/460/8 gloucester/etc. towers sprouting up over the next few years.

call me crazy if you'd like.

If 501 Yonge was going to go anywhere, I rather see it go here than it's currently planned location. If it was set back from Yonge street, it'd be a lot more amenable.
Now, that said, I hope we do not get another fifty, or double-fifty storey tower here! Some slender lovelies up into the twenties or thirties could do nicely, though if handled properly. Also, having any building on this site contain some serious retail or cultural component would be grand. It would be a boost to come up out of the Wellesley stop and see something lit, lively and engaging instead of the relatively drab streetscape that's around the site now.

Last edited:
Word on the street is it is now off the market, don't know any other details.

Maybe we can get Kristyn Wong-Tam in on this property to try to get it purchased as a park, instead of the other side of Yonge.
Anyway I read somewhere 3 X 55s, I mentioned it in another thread recently, perhaps in the 501 Yonge or 460 Yonge discussions, I looked but I couldn't find this thread. I'm searching my memory where I read this and coming up blank but I do recall that the Catholic Children's Aid Society building is also part of the package which means we also lose the old home to the west of it, most likely not designated & the last house on the street. I'm pretty sure it's only in the discussion phase, nothing is on paper yet or as BMyers states, possibly off the market for now.

Edit: I found it, the info. came from a Church-Wellesley FB posting on July 7th, where this originated from I do not know -

Local downtown neighbourhood associations, Bay Cloverhill (baycloverhill.ca) and Church Wellesley (cwna.ca) are supporting the move to look at acquiring vacant two acres at 11 Wellesley West for a city Park. The motion at this week’s Council Meeting directs staff to negotiate the acquisition of 11 Wellesley Street West from Infrastructure Ontario for park purposes - by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Paul Ainslie. (http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.MM25.7)
Within months of each other, the Provincial and City government are jumping on the development bandwagon in the same neighbourhood.
The lands known as East of Bay Lands have been vacant for decades and long been considered for public use including as an opera house . Local MPP and urbanist Glen Murray has been trying to convince Ministry of infrastructure officials of the obligation and promise of the province to balance and mitigate the effects of intensification.
Two months ago, Build Toronto offered for sale the Wellesley Street East Toronto Parking Authority Lot and Catholic Children’s Aid site on Maitland St. for three 55 story buildings.
The area (Davenport/Church to Queen University) has experienced 24.17% growth to 39,827 population between 2007-2012.
Places to grow gross density intensification targets for Toronto urban growth centres are 400 residents and jobs combined per hectare by 2031. Our neighbourhood current density is 700 residents and jobs. We are currently at twice the prescribed density, twenty years early.
For further information contact Paul.Farrelly@hce.ca or call 416-924-9819
CALL TO ACTION
PLEASE WRITE TO SUPPORT THE ACQUISITION OF THE LANDS FOR A PARK
Councillor Kristyn Wong Tam<councillor_wongtam@toronto.ca>
Councillor Paul Ainslie <councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca>
PLEASE ASK THE ONTARIO GOVERNMENT TO FULFILL ITS OBLIGATIONS FOR INTENSIFICATION
Minister Glenn Murray MPP Toronto Centre <gmurray.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org>
Premier Dalton McGuinty <dmcguinty.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org>
-30-

Last edited:
My comment was to maybe get this area as a park instead of the space on the other side of Yonge, not that anything will ever come of it. I don't think I read any objections to building on this site, and only a few on the plot west of Yonge so it has nothing at all to do with keeping tall buildings out of the area (though I'll be the first to register that a 3 X 55s proposal here is really excessive). It's all about creating more badly needed public park space before all the properties in this area are developed. When the land is gone, it's gone. Forever.

these would look better covered in curtain wall and only with a nice purple tinting. forget all the the rest just three nice deep purple tinting havent seen a purple glass building before anywhere.

yes i think i know the building you mean its a mish mash of a blueish and that color your talking about that is the uglyest building to my mind in toronto. it looks like they ran out of one type of glass half way and someone thought well hey why not just cover the rest for a project we probably rejected in the past

Back