News   Apr 18, 2024
 682     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 246     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 570     0 

15 Wellesley E (Parking lot redevelopment, Plaza, ?s, Quadrangle)

Sometimes it's hard to resist a little tease, but I'm not doing it to torment anyone. I'm just letting people know something's coming without revealing anything that I'm not permitted to say yet!

I hope you told them you were going to trash them relentlessly on this site if the tallest building is anything under 70 storeys. I'd say that's the least you could do to fulfill your duties as a density advocate. : -)

Is it something that will be well received by forumers, in your opinion?

See, now you're wanting me to tease.

Okay, but this isn't a tease, just a prediction based on my experience with UT forumers:

Some will want it taller, others will be upset with how high it is.
It'll be too curvy for some who want everything rectilinear, and not curvy enough for those who want to see more wow factor.
Some will want a beefier podium with more streetwall, others will want the podium eliminated in favour of freestanding buildings.
Some will like it, some won't, and everyone will think that they're right and those who oppose them are wrong.
I hope you told them you were going to trash them relentlessly on this site if the tallest building is anything under 70 storeys. I'd say that's the least you could do to fulfill your duties as a density advocate. : -)

70 storeys at Yonge and Wellesley? That's crazy talk!

Going outside the local crop of firms alone is intriguing. I don't think developers would bother if they were just aiming for mediocre.

Some will want it taller, others will be upset with how high it is.
It'll be too curvy for some who want everything rectilinear, and not curvy enough for those who want to see more wow factor.
Some will want a beefier podium with more streetwall, others will want the podium eliminated in favour of freestanding buildings.
Some will like it, some won't, and everyone will think that they're right and those who oppose them are wrong.

With that in mind...Since it sounds like the proposal is coming very soon and I am going to be extremely busy I figured I would just write my reaction to it now...

What is wrong with this city? Why is it that so few people seem to understand how precious these undeveloped sites are? If we are ever going to get downtown's population density up to over 20k/sq km which, I assume, everybody wants to happen (and if anyone doesn't then their opinion should be dismissed out of hand), then we need to take full advantage of all such opportunities. This proposal should have had an additional 30 storeys spread out amonst the buildings!

What is wrong with this city? Why is it that so few people seem to understand how precious these undeveloped sites are? If we are ever going to get downtown's population density up to over 20k/sq km which, I assume, everybody wants to happen (and if anyone doesn't then their opinion should be dismissed out of hand), then we need to take full advantage of all such opportunities. This proposal should have had an additional 30 storeys spread out amonst the buildings!

Manhattan is 25K/km2. Barcelona is 15K/km2. Is there a fundamental benefit to raising it beyond the 20K/km2 level? Besides, how will that density be distributed within the core? What's the benefit on over-concentrating the density on a few sites (and it wasn't like redevelopment opportunities aren't available)? I don't think you understand the implications of what you're suggesting, and you definitely aren't in a position to dismiss anyone's opinion out of hand.

AoD

Last edited:
Manhattan is 25K/km2. Barcelona is 15K/km2. Is there a fundamental benefit to raising it beyond the 20K/km2 level? Besides, how will that density be distributed within the core? What's the benefit on over-concentrating the density on a few sites? I don't think you understand the implications of what you're suggesting, and you definitely aren't in a position to dismiss anyone's opinion out of hand.

AoD

Are you trolling me? I can't tell if you actually think my reaction to a proposal that has yet to be submitted and about which we have virtually no information was meant to be taken seriously. I was trying to be humourous, but if that is going to be the reaction then I guess I should probably apologize for cluttering up the board.

Are you trolling me? I can't tell if you actually think my reaction to a proposal that has yet to be submitted and about which we have virtually no information was meant to be taken seriously. I was trying to be humourous, but if that is going to be the reaction then I guess I should probably apologize for cluttering up the board.

Oops! My apologies.

AoD

Back