870     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 515     0 

13th Floor thoughts and opinions

mrezwayz

UT Member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, out of my curiosity... I have seen many new condos that in elevators have 13th floor button, and I want to know what everyone thinks of it. Would you live in building with 13th floor button in elevator? It is funny, older buildings do not have 13th floor button whereas right now new buildings do have. How come this trend changed?

Let is be 13, or 14, or 44, or 666, it means absolutely nothing to me.

Plus, label the 13th floor as the 14th doesn't change the fact that it is still on the 13th floor.

I have no issues with the number 13. I actually kind of like that number.
It may be an issue for older generations who are more superstitious, but I think that kind of thinking is disappearing.
I have notice most new condos are including the 13th floor. I was told that in numerology the number 13 is actually a lucky number -- I don't know how popular numerology is or if it's one of those crazy new age practices.

The only developer I could think of that doesn't use 13 is Concord Adex, but they also removed the 4th, 14th and 24th floors on their buildings to maximize the saleability of thier projects. At Cityplace you may have a unit on the 35th floor, but it is actually on the 30th floor if include all of the skipped floors -- it's funny that it makes your unit sound taller than it actually is.

Speaking of the number 4, I may be more hesitant in buying a property with the number 4 in it because of resale as it will not appeal to Asian buyers. I had a friend who was trying to sell their condo and their unit had a 4 in it. A potential buyer, who is actually not Asian, but brought an Asian friend and Feng Shui expert along at a showing and her friend discouraged her from buying it because of the unit number. That really irratated my friend as that was only thing that prevented this lady from making an offer. I don't want the same thing to limit the saleability my property when the time comes.

I've seen a lack of floors 4, 13 and 14 too...and I have to say, that's getting ridiculous! The only way to stop going down this slippery slope is to forgo skipping any number at all. Just number the floors sequentially already.

Thanks for all great responses, that is what I thought the same. It was really good seeing number 13 there in elevators. If 13 was skipped then developer of that building is obviously taking superstitions. This new trend is finally changing, and gets numbered properly. If people are really backed off for any numbers they think it is bad one, really they need to grow up. Even developers too if they skip one.

really? how many numbers are there that is wrong to have? 4, 13, 666? what is 4? what is 13? what is 666? seriously... what a dumb world we live in...

Asians are particularly superstitious, especially when the number 4 means death to them.
I am not superstitious at all, but with the large Asian population and influx of people moving here overseas, I don't want the number 4 to affect the resale value of my property.

I'm hoping, like the number 13, the younger generation of Asians may not be as superstitious the number 4.
Having multiple skipped floors in a building is pretty rediculous, and it's also a fire safety issue when floors don't represent the actual levels of the building.

so units being on levels 4 and 13, or units numbered 4 or 13 affects the resale value of the property? that is a joke - seems an excuse coming out from asians to get bargain of these units numbered 4 and 13.

also am curious, was there a rule applied before to developers not to use 4 or 13 in buildings? or that was just their decision? is there a even a building code stating the floors must represent the actual levels of building due to fire safety issue??

In Asia 13 is considered a good strong number...I dont give a hoot about numbers except the profit I make when I sell my own unit.Even as a resale value 13 is not unlucky for asians but considered a "rebirth" number.

I know of real estate agents who routinely list their properties (obviously with agreement from the sellers) with lots of 8s in them, e.g. $888,888. I know it's a superstitious good luck charm but it's quirky nonetheless.

I know of real estate agents who routinely list their properties (obviously with agreement from the sellers) with lots of 8s in them, e.g. $888,888. I know it's a superstitious good luck charm but it's quirky nonetheless.

The irony is that these sellers and agents who practice this are not Asian and it's often a sign that there is some kind of deficiency with the property. Buyers are much smarter than that.

Back